Trouble With Trig Proofs: Seeking Help

In summary, Seiferseph was having trouble with two trig proofs. He was able to solve one, but not the other. He was able to convert everything to cosine and sinine, but needed help with the top on the left side. He was able to get the top on the left side by multiplying by (cosθ + sinθ). In the second problem, Seiferseph was not able to simplify the right side. He was able to solve it, but is not sure if that is the right answer.
seiferseph
I recently posted about some trig equations, now I'm doing some HW on trig proofs, i got the first couple trig proofs, but had trouble with the last two.
Here are the two problems (attached). For the first one, i can't even get started. i have some ideas, but i can't find out how to get the right side (1/(1+secθ). For the second one, i simplify the right side for cosθ/sinθ, but I'm not sure if that's right (i can't get the right side to anything like that). any help would be appreciated, thanks!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/seiferseph/untitled.jpg

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 345
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't access the attachment you posted...

Jameson said:
I can't access the attachment you posted...

it says its pending approval, is there anywhere else i can upload it?
does this work
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/seiferseph/untitled.jpg

It's open now- put into latex it says:
[tex]1. \frac{1-sin^2(\theta)-2cos(\theta)}{cos^2(\theta)-cos(\theta)-2}= \frac{1}{1+ sec(\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]2. \frac{cos(\theta)-sin(\theta)}{cos(\theta)+sin(\theta)}=sec(2\theta)- tan(2\theta)[/tex]

Generally speaking, my first step with trig identities is to convert everything into sine and cosine. Here, sec(θ)= 1/cos(θ) so I think that I would in fact convert every thing to cos(θ)- sin(θ) only appears as sin2(θ) in problem 1 so that is just
[tex]\frac{cos^2(\theta)- 2cos(\theta)}{cos^2(\theta)-cos(\theta)-2}= \frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{cos(\theta)}}= \frac{cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta)+1}[/tex]
Now think about factoring the terms on the left.

thank you, i came close, i had the right side simplified and all (and had the bottom on the left factored), but i couldn't get the top on the left. thanks! now for the 2nd one, is it simplified down to cosθ/sinθ?

Neither side simplifiees to [tex]\frac{\cos{\theta}}{\sin{\theta}}[/tex]. You will need to remember what the conjugate of [tex]a-b[/tex] is, if you do it the same way I did. The conjugate of [tex]a-b[/tex] is [tex]a+b[/tex]. Recall that

[tex]\frac{a+b}{a-b} = \frac{(a+b)^2}{(a-b)(a+b)} = \frac{(a+b)^2}{a^2-b^2}[/tex]

You might be needing it :)

how does the conjugate work? i know you can use it if they are on opposite sides (and diagonal), but how do you use it here. i did multiply the top by (cosθ+sinθ) and then make the bottom (cosθ+sinθ)^2, is that correct? because i solved, but got the reciprocal of the right side.

You've made a mistake then. Try multiplying top and bottom of the left side by [tex]\cos{\theta} - \sin{\theta}[/tex] instead, so that the denominator is a difference of squares. You will then need to make several simplifications using identities.

The way that the conjugate "works" is just multiplication by 1:

[tex]\frac{a-b}{a+b} = \frac{a-b}{a+b} \cdot \frac{a-b}{a-b} = \frac{(a-b)^2}{a^2-b^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Data said:
You've made a mistake then. Try multiplying top and bottom of the left side by [tex]\cos{\theta} - \sin{\theta}[/tex] instead, so that the denominator is a difference of squares. You will then need to make several simplifications using identities.

The way that the conjugate "works" is just multiplication by 1:

[tex]\frac{a-b}{a+b} = \frac{a-b}{a+b} \cdot \frac{a-b}{a-b} = \frac{(a-b)^2}{a^2-b^2}[/tex]

ok, so you can multiply both top and bottom by either (cosθ + sinθ) or (cosθ - sinθ) to simplify one into the difference of squares?
thanks! i solved it, getting (1-sin2θ)/(cos2θ) on both sides

Related to Trouble With Trig Proofs: Seeking Help

1. What are the common mistakes made in trigonometry proofs?

The most common mistakes made in trigonometry proofs include incorrect use of trigonometric identities, missing or incorrect steps in the proof, and not simplifying expressions enough. It is important to carefully review each step and check for accuracy.

2. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry proofs?

One way to improve understanding of trigonometry proofs is to practice solving various types of problems and proofs. It is also helpful to review the fundamental trigonometric identities and properties to better understand how to manipulate equations.

3. What resources are available for help with trigonometry proofs?

There are many resources available for help with trigonometry proofs, including online tutorials, textbooks, and study groups. Your teacher or professor is also a valuable resource, as they can provide personalized assistance and guidance.

4. How can I approach a difficult trigonometry proof?

When faced with a difficult trigonometry proof, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify any relevant trigonometric identities, and break the proof down into smaller, more manageable steps. It can also be helpful to work through similar, simpler problems first to build confidence and understanding.

5. What are some tips for avoiding mistakes in trigonometry proofs?

To avoid mistakes in trigonometry proofs, it is important to double-check each step and make sure all calculations are accurate. It can also be helpful to write out all steps and show your work clearly. Additionally, taking breaks and coming back to the proof with a fresh perspective can help catch any errors.