Troubleshooting a Simple Sun Tracking Device: Tips and Solutions

In summary, Tina D is seeking help with her project of building a simple sun tracker. Her initial plan involves two Photovoltaic cells attached to a shaft and a small DC motor, which successfully rotates when hit with light from a small torch. However, when using sunlight, the cells do not have enough discrepancy to cause an effect. Tina is wondering if there is a way to alter the system or add a component to fix this issue. Bob S suggests trying to shade the cells at a slight angle or using a tube to limit the angle of incidence. He also asks for more information about Tina's setup, specifically if it accounts for East-West tracking and overnight pointing error.
tina-duncan
Hi friends!

I have recently started a small project where I had hoped to build a simple sun tracker.
My initial plan involved 2 Photovoltaic cells mounted at either end of a panel which was attached to a shaft which was then attached to a small DC motor. Both cells were hooked to the motor and initial testing with a small torch was successful; when light hit the left cell the motor would rotate clockwise and vice versa for the right cell.
My problem arises when i attempt this using sunlight, put simply nothing happens, my guess is that there simply is not enough of a discrepancy between the cells to cause an effect.
So my question, is there a way I can alter the system or add some sort of component in some way to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Tina D :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Without seeing the whole setup I think you are probably right about not getting enough signal difference. You could try putting some kind of shade over the photocells such that the sun has to hit the cell at a slight angle before it does anything. Or maybe a tube aimed at the sun which limits the angle of incidence.

Are you talking about longitude (time of day, East-West) tracking? Are the two photocells directly facing the sun, or are they partially shadowed by the edges of the panel or baffles so that a panel East West pointing error causes a change in the sunlight hitting each photocell? Does your setup account for overnight (sundown-to-sunrise) pointing error? Please post a sketch of setup if possible.

Bob S

Related to Troubleshooting a Simple Sun Tracking Device: Tips and Solutions

1. How does a simple sun tracking device work?

A simple sun tracking device works by using sensors to detect the position of the sun and adjusting the orientation of a solar panel or other device accordingly. This ensures that the device is always facing the sun, maximizing its exposure to sunlight and optimizing its performance.

2. What are the benefits of using a simple sun tracking device?

The main benefit of using a simple sun tracking device is increased energy efficiency. By constantly facing the sun, the device is able to absorb more sunlight and produce more energy compared to a fixed solar panel. This can result in higher energy production and cost savings in the long run.

3. How accurate is a simple sun tracking device?

The accuracy of a simple sun tracking device depends on the quality of its sensors and motors, as well as its programming. Generally, these devices are able to track the sun with a high degree of accuracy, ensuring maximum energy production throughout the day.

4. Can a simple sun tracking device work in cloudy weather?

Yes, a simple sun tracking device can still work in cloudy weather, although its efficiency may be reduced. Cloud cover can block some sunlight, making it more difficult for the device to accurately track the sun's position. However, as long as there is some sunlight, the device will still be able to function and produce energy.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for a simple sun tracking device?

Like any other device, a simple sun tracking device may require some maintenance over time. This can include cleaning the sensors and motors, checking for any damage or wear, and ensuring proper calibration. Regular maintenance can help ensure the device continues to function effectively and efficiently.