Troubleshooting LaTeX Popups in Opera: Missing Images on Physics Forums

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, The source of certain LaTeX images does not pop up when clicked on. This issue has been observed by multiple users, including the original poster and user Warren, on different posts (#1 and #10). The issue seems to be related to the use of single quotes in the tex code, which is being interpreted as the end of the argument by the javascript. This issue has been noted to occur on both Opera 7.54 and Firefox 1.0. A possible solution is to print out the single quote as \' whenever it appears inside the tex code.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The source doesn't pop up when I click on certain LaTeX images.

I'm using Opera 7.54

Here are some examples:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=65125

On post #1, I cannot see the source of the second image. (BUt I see the others)

On post #10, I can't see the first, fourth, fifth, or sixth image. (Out of 6)

Here is my attempt at reproducing some of those I can't see in post #10:

[itex]E = E' f_{\lambda}[/itex]
[tex]( \mathbf{\nabla \cdot E'} f_{\lambda} ) + \frac{V}{\lambda^2} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Lo and behold, I cannot see the source of these.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the source code it seems like the single quote is the culprite. The javascript is interpreting it as the end of the argument. This should be a simple fix. Just print it out as \' whenever it comes up inside the tex code.

Last edited:
I'll take a look. Thanks. :smile:

- Warren

If it matters, they don't work in Firefox 1.0 either.

FAQ: Troubleshooting LaTeX Popups in Opera: Missing Images on Physics Forums

1. Why am I getting popups in Opera when browsing Physics Forums in LaTeX mode?

Opera has a built-in feature that automatically converts LaTeX code into images for easier viewing. However, this feature may not always work perfectly and can result in missing images or popups instead.

2. How can I fix missing images in LaTeX popups on Physics Forums?

One solution is to disable the automatic conversion of LaTeX code into images in Opera. To do this, go to Opera's settings, select "Websites" from the sidebar, and under "Javascript", click on "Advanced Settings". Then, uncheck the box next to "Enable automatic conversion of LaTeX to images".

3. Are there any other ways to troubleshoot missing images in LaTeX popups on Physics Forums?

Another option is to use a different browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox, which may have better compatibility with the LaTeX code on Physics Forums. Alternatively, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or updating your browser to the latest version.

4. Will disabling the automatic conversion of LaTeX to images affect other websites or features in Opera?

No, disabling this feature will only affect the automatic conversion of LaTeX code on Physics Forums. Other websites and features in Opera will continue to function as normal.

5. I have disabled the automatic conversion of LaTeX to images, but I am still experiencing issues with missing images. What else can I do?

If the above solutions do not work, it is possible that there may be an issue with the LaTeX code itself. You can try reaching out to the Physics Forums community or the website administrators for further assistance with troubleshooting the issue.