Troubleshooting Mandl & Shaw QFT: Deriving eqn (9.94) on pg 192 of 2nd edition

• Thread starter Vic Sandler
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to derive equation (9.94) from Mandl and Shaw's QFT book. The person asking for help notes that they have tried to simplify the equation and dropped certain terms, but they still cannot get the same result as in the book. Another person points out that the middle term in the equation does not exist due to the cancellation of terms involving the mass, and only the first term written in the book is correct.
Vic Sandler
I tried to derive eqn (9.94) on page 192 of the second edition of Mandl and Shaw QFT and failed. Can someone help me see what I am doing wrong?

Ignoring factors that do not change from eqn (9.92) to eqn (9.94), noting that f(k) has been set to 1, and dropping terms linear in k and k squared as described in the text, I get:

[tex]\frac{\gamma^{\alpha}(\not{p'}+m)\gamma^{\mu}(\not{p}+m)\gamma_{\alpha}}{((p'-k)^2 - m^2)((p-k)^2 - m^2)}[/tex]

[tex] = \gamma^{\mu}\frac{(-2p'p)}{(-2p'k)(-2pk)} + \frac{4m(p' + p)^{\mu}}{(-2p'k)(-2pk)} + \gamma^{\mu}\frac{(-2m^2)}{(-2p'k)(-2pk)}[/tex]

The first term on the right hand side is the same as in the book, but divided by -2. Perhaps the other two terms combine in some way to fix it up, but I don't see it. I also don't see what terms are meant by the author when he says "the dots indicate terms which are finite in the limit [itex]\lambda \rightarrow 0[/itex]" since none of the terms involve [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Let us see only the p/ . p'/ term.
γα/p'γμ/pγα=[-/p'γα+2p'αμα(-/p)+2pα),now /p and /p' operating on free particles states will give m which will cancel with the m already written in (/p+m) and (/p'+m) terms.You are left with
2p'αγμ2pα,so you will get 4 in the numerator not 2.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Andrien, that helps a lot. But it still leaves the middle term:

[tex]\frac{4m(p' + p)^{\mu}}{(-2p'k)(-2pk)}[/tex]

Do you have any ideas about it?

There are no such terms because as I have written earlier owing to -/p(-/p') acting on free particle spinor you get a factor of -m which will cancel with m in (/p -/k +m) and also dropping linear terms and quadratic terms in k,you are left only with the first term already written in the book.

Related to Troubleshooting Mandl & Shaw QFT: Deriving eqn (9.94) on pg 192 of 2nd edition

1. What is the purpose of deriving equation (9.94) in Mandl & Shaw QFT?

The purpose of deriving equation (9.94) is to understand the relationship between the operator product expansion (OPE) and the commutator of two local operators in quantum field theory. This equation is important for calculating correlation functions and understanding the behavior of physical systems.

2. How is equation (9.94) derived in Mandl & Shaw QFT?

Equation (9.94) is derived using the operator product expansion (OPE) method in quantum field theory. This method involves expanding the product of two local operators into a sum of operators with different scaling dimensions, and then using the commutation relations between these operators to simplify the expression.

3. Can equation (9.94) be applied to any quantum field theory system?

Yes, equation (9.94) can be applied to any quantum field theory system. It is a general result that is independent of the specific details of the system, as long as the system satisfies the assumptions of quantum field theory.

4. Are there any limitations to using equation (9.94) in calculations?

There are some limitations to using equation (9.94) in calculations. It assumes that the operators involved are local and commute at spacelike separations. It also assumes that the system is in a vacuum state. These limitations may not hold in certain extreme cases, such as when dealing with non-local operators or in non-vacuum states.

5. How does equation (9.94) relate to other equations in Mandl & Shaw QFT?

Equation (9.94) is related to other equations in Mandl & Shaw QFT, such as the commutation relations between operators and the operator product expansion (OPE). It can also be used to derive other important equations, such as the Feynman propagator. Understanding the relationship between various equations is crucial for fully grasping the concepts of quantum field theory.