Troubleshooting Maple 12 on y' = cos(pi*ty)

In summary, To solve the differential equation y' = cos(pi*ty) and plot the solutions for a sequence of 21 equally distributed initial points, use the command dsolve and seq in Maple. You can also use the command plot3d to visualize the solution in 3D.
Melawrghk
So I'm trying to do a question in Maple and I'm beyond lost. I've used it before but a different version and Maple 12 is confusing as is the syntax.

Anyways, the question is:
In one ty-graph plot the solutions of y' = cos(pi*ty) for a sequence of 21 equally distributed initial points y(0) between 0 and 4.

I figured that I have to use dsolve and I wrote:
>ode:=diff(y(t),t)=cos(pi*t*y(t)) which works fine
Then, I did
>dsolve(ode)
But it doesn't give me an answer and just jumps to the next line. I looked at the help file but found no answers (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough).

Then I figured maybe I had to do the entire thing at once, got rid of dsolve(ode) and wrote:
>seq(dsolve(ode), t=1..4, 0.2)
But Maple said: Error, invalid input: diff received 1, which is not valid for its 2nd argument.

Can anyone give me any hint as to what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this question is:>soln:=dsolve({diff(y(t),t)=cos(pi*t*y(t))},y(t));>seq(soln,t=0..4,0.2);This will solve the differential equation and then plot the solutions of y' = cos(pi*ty) for a sequence of 21 equally distributed initial points y(0) between 0 and 4. You can also use the command plot3d to visualize the solution in 3D.

I understand your frustration with troubleshooting software and syntax. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot your issue with Maple 12 and solve the question at hand:

1. Check your syntax: Make sure you are using the correct syntax for Maple 12. You can refer to the help file or online resources for guidance.

2. Verify your initial conditions: Double check that your initial conditions are correctly inputted. In this case, make sure your initial points are between 0 and 4.

3. Use the correct function: Instead of using "seq" which is used for sequences of numbers, try using "plot" or "odeplot" to plot the solutions for a range of initial conditions.

4. Use a numerical solver: If the above steps do not work, you can try using a numerical solver such as "dsolve/numeric" or "odeplot/numeric" to plot the solutions.

5. Check for updates: Make sure you have the latest version of Maple 12 and that it is up to date. Updates often fix bugs and improve performance.

6. Contact support: If you are still having trouble, you can contact Maple support for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific guidance for your issue.

I hope these steps help you solve the question and troubleshoot any issues you may be having with Maple 12. Good luck!

Related to Troubleshooting Maple 12 on y' = cos(pi*ty)

1. What is Maple 12 and what does it mean to troubleshoot it?

Maple 12 is a computer algebra system used for mathematical calculations and data analysis. Troubleshooting Maple 12 means identifying and solving any issues or errors that may arise while using the software.

2. What is the meaning of "y' = cos(pi*ty)" and how does it relate to Maple 12?

"y' = cos(pi*ty)" is a differential equation that represents a mathematical model. It relates to Maple 12 because the software can be used to solve and graph this type of equation.

3. What are some common problems that users may encounter when using Maple 12 for "y' = cos(pi*ty)"?

Some common problems may include errors in inputting the equation, difficulty in obtaining a solution, or incorrect graphing results.

4. How can I troubleshoot Maple 12 for "y' = cos(pi*ty)"?

First, double-check the input of the equation to ensure it is correct. Then, try using different solving methods or changing the settings in the software. If these steps do not work, consult the Maple 12 user manual or seek help from a Maple expert.

5. Are there any resources available for troubleshooting Maple 12?

Yes, there are many online forums and communities dedicated to helping users troubleshoot Maple 12. The official Maple website also has a support page with tutorials, FAQs, and contact information for technical support.