Troubleshooting Wireless Power Transfer Circuit: What Am I Doing Wrong?

In summary, The speaker is trying to build a circuit for transferring power between two inductors, but is only getting a low output voltage. They have two inductors of 1000 turns each, connected to an AC power source and placed close to each other. They are wondering if they are doing something wrong and if using a larger diameter core for the secondary coil would result in a higher voltage. The distance between the two coils is approximately 5cm and the speaker estimates that only a small percentage of the magnetic field from the first coil is passing through the second coil. They also mention that a larger diameter core may result in a higher inductance and voltage.
romip
Hi all
i'm trying to build a circuit which can transfer power from one inductor to another inductor unfortunately its not working as i expected.
basically what i did was to make 2 inductors of 1000 turns (copper) on a plastic core.i connected one of the inductor to an ac power source (10VPP+15Mhz+sine wave) and placed the second one close to it and observed the output voltage (air medium).

i don't know what I'm doing wrong here,i'm getting only ~240mV at the output. since its a 1:1 turns i expect to get the same voltage at the output too (N1V2=N2V1).

am i doing something wrong here?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
How far apart are the two coils?

What percentage of the field of the first coil would you estimate is passing through the second coil? Do you think the secondary voltage would be different if for instance it were wound on a larger diameter core and the primary coil was inside it?

skeptic2 said:
How far apart are the two coils?
~5cm
skeptic2 said:
What percentage of the field of the first coil would you estimate is passing through the second coil?
i don't expect much because the magnetic field is radiated in all directions and very few actually goes through the secondary coil.
skeptic2 said:
Do you think the secondary voltage would be different if for instance it were wound on a larger diameter core and the primary coil was inside it?
since the inductance is related to the radius of the coil, i would expect to see a higher inductance and thus a higher voltage.

so should i make another coil with a bigger radius?

thanks for your quick reply

Related to Troubleshooting Wireless Power Transfer Circuit: What Am I Doing Wrong?

What is wireless power transfer?

Wireless power transfer is the process of transmitting electrical energy from one device to another without the use of physical wires or cables. It uses electromagnetic fields to transfer power, similar to how a radio signals transmits information.

How does wireless power transfer work?

Wireless power transfer works by using two coils - a transmitter coil and a receiver coil. The transmitter coil is connected to a power source and generates an oscillating magnetic field. The receiver coil, located in the receiving device, captures this magnetic field and converts it back into electrical energy, which can then be used to power the device.

Is wireless power transfer safe?

Yes, wireless power transfer is generally considered safe. The technology used in wireless power transfer systems is designed to comply with international safety standards and regulations. However, it is important to use certified and properly installed systems to ensure safety.

What are the advantages of wireless power transfer?

Wireless power transfer offers several advantages, including convenience, flexibility, and efficiency. It eliminates the need for physical wires and cables, allowing for a clutter-free environment. It also allows for greater flexibility in device placement, as devices can be charged from a distance. Additionally, wireless power transfer can be more efficient than traditional wired charging methods.

What are the limitations of wireless power transfer?

One of the main limitations of wireless power transfer is its range. The distance between the transmitter and receiver coils can affect the efficiency of power transfer. Additionally, the amount of power that can be transferred wirelessly is currently limited, making it more suitable for low-power devices rather than high-power devices.