True or false; differentiability

In summary: Think about the definition of g and how it relates to f.In summary, if g:[-1,1] -> Reals is differentiable with g(0) = 0 and g(x) doesn't equal 0 for x not = 0 and f : Reals -> Reals is a continuous function with f(x)/g(x) ->1 as x->0, then f(x) is differentiable at 0. This can be proven by finding the limit of f(x)/h as h approaches 0 and showing that it is equal to 1. L'Hopital's rule cannot be used since f may not be differentiable, but the relationship between f and g can be used in the
stukbv

Homework Statement

if g:[-1,1] -> Reals is differentiable with g(0) = 0 and g(x) doesn't equal 0 for x not = 0 and f : Reals -> Reals is a continuous function with f(x)/g(x) ->1 as x->0 then f(x) is differentiable at 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took f(x) = |x| and g(x) = arcsin(x) , does this work as a counter example?

Physics news on Phys.org
stukbv said:
I took f(x) = |x| and g(x) = arcsin(x) , does this work as a counter example?

No, since the limit

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}{\frac{|x|}{arcsin(x)}}[/tex]

doesn't exist.

In fact, let's try to prove this thingy. Can you first work out what f(0) is?

its the limit as x --> 0 that i want though?

Sorry, typo. That 1 should have been a 0 in the limit...

Ok, why doesn't the limit exist? Can i not apply l'Hopitals?

hmm that's odd, in my lecture notes i have a definition which says suppose f and g are differentiable at all x in (a,b) \ {c} and g'(x) doesn't = 0 for all x in (a,b)\{c} then
if l = limf'(c)/g'(c) as x--> c exists and = l then it is the limit as x--> x of f(x)/g(x)??

Now I am really confused?

stukbv said:
hmm that's odd, in my lecture notes i have a definition which says suppose f and g are differentiable at all x in (a,b) \ {c} and g'(x) doesn't = 0 for all x in (a,b)\{c} then
if l = limf'(c)/g'(c) as x--> c exists and = l then it is the limit as x--> x of f(x)/g(x)??

Now I am really confused?

Yes, I'm sorry, your lecture notes are correct. But the limit still doesn't exist, like you can see in my link...

ok. So its true?

Try to prove it and find out! :smile:

You'll need to calculate

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{\frac{f(h)-f(0)}{h}}[/tex]

So you'll need to know what f(0) is first...

is it 0? since that's the only way we would get f(x) / g(x) -> 1 as x-> 0 ?

Yes, it's 0! So you'll only need to calculate

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{\frac{f(h)}{h}}[/tex]

now...

ermmm so do i say since f is continuous lim f(h) as h->0 = f(0) = 0
So the whole thing tends to one? argh not sure !?

stukbv said:
ermmm so do i say since f is continuous lim f(h) as h->0 = f(0) = 0
So the whole thing tends to one? argh not sure !?

f(h) tends to 0, but h also tends to 0, so you have a "0/0" situation. You cannot say that the whole thing tends to 1...

L hopitals?

No, since you don't know if f is differentiable.

Try to do something with your g...

No idea what you mean.. how can i use g to show something about f

You could introduce g in that limit somehow.

Related to True or false; differentiability

1. What is the definition of differentiability?

The definition of differentiability is the property of a function where it is possible to calculate the derivative at every point within its domain.

2. How is differentiability related to continuity?

Differentiability is a stronger condition than continuity. A function can be continuous at a point without being differentiable at that point. However, if a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point.

3. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

A function is differentiable at a point if the derivative exists at that point. This means that the function has a well-defined slope at that point.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not on an interval?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at a point but not on an interval. This means that the function may have a well-defined slope at a specific point, but it is not differentiable on the entire interval due to a discontinuity or sharp turn.

5. How can I determine if a function is differentiable at a point?

A function is differentiable at a point if it is continuous at that point and the limit of the difference quotient exists as x approaches the point. In other words, the left-hand and right-hand limits of the difference quotient must be equal.