Truth Set for the given Equivalence

In summary, the author provided an equivalence between x2=1 and the set of all x values that are not 1 or -1. He then attempted to solve for this equivalence, but broke his proof when he attempted to write it in a more concise way.
Keen94

Homework Statement

Find the truth set of the given equivalence. Assume U=ℝ
#56. (x2=1)↔[(x=1)∨(x=-1)]
Source: Principles of Mathematics by Allendoefer and Oakley section 1.10

Homework Equations

{x I px↔qx}=(P∩Q)∪(P'∩Q')[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

P={x I px}={x I x2=1}={x I x=1 or -1)
P'={x I x≠1 or -1}
Q={x I qx is true}={x I (x=1)∨(x=-1)}
qx=ax∨bx
{x I ax∨bx}=A∪B
Q=A∪B
Let ax be x=1 and bx be x=-1
A={x I ax} and B={x I bx}
A={1} and B={-1}
A∪B={-1,1}
Q={x I x=-1 or 1}
Q'={x I x≠-1 or 1}
(P∩Q)={x I x=1 or -1}∩{x I x=1 or -1}={x I x=1 or -1}
(P'∩Q')={x I x≠1 or -1}∩{x I x≠1 or -1}={x I x≠1 or -1}
(P∩Q)∪(P'∩Q')={x I x=1 or -1}∪{x I x≠1 or -1}= U[/B]
Just wanted to know if someone could go over my work and verify it. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The result is right, I guess there are shorter ways to prove it but it looks reasonable.
Keen94 said:
{x I x≠1 or -1}
That notation is problematic, as it does not work with a mathematical "or" here (-1 is not meant as logical statement). Same for the = before, but there it is clearer because there is no "not" involved.

mfb said:
The result is right, I guess there are shorter ways to prove it but it looks reasonable.
That notation is problematic, as it does not work with a mathematical "or" here (-1 is not meant as logical statement). Same for the = before, but there it is clearer because there is no "not" involved.
What do you suggest in changing? In the statement that you quoted, I'm trying to express that x cannot take both of those values. Which is a negation of the statement before in which x, could take those values. Thank you for your time.

You could write, ##P' = \{ x \in \mathbb{R} \ |\ x \ne 1 \text{ and } x \ne -1\}##. Both conditions have to be true for an element to be in P'.

***Edit***
Keen94 said:

Homework Statement

Find the truth set of the given equivalence. Assume U=ℝ
#56. (x2=1)↔[(x=1)∨(x=-1)]
Source: Principles of Mathematics by Allendoefer and Oakley section 1.10

Homework Equations

{x I px↔qx}=(P∩Q)∪(P'∩Q')[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

P={x I px}={x I x2=1}={x I x=1 or -1)
P'={x I x≠1 and x≠ -1}
Q={x I qx is true}={x I (x=1)∨(x=-1)}
qx=ax∨bx
{x I ax∨bx}=A∪B
Q=A∪B
Let ax be x=1 and bx be x=-1
A={x I ax} and B={x I bx}
A={1} and B={-1}
A∪B={-1,1}
Q={x I x=-1 and x= 1}
Q'={x I x≠-1 or 1}
(P∩Q)={x I x=1 and x= -1}∩{x I x=1 and x= -1}={x I x=1 and x= -1}
(P'∩Q')={x I x≠1 and x≠ -1}∩{x I x≠1 and x≠ -1}={x I x≠1 and x≠ -1}
(P∩Q)∪(P'∩Q')={x I x=1 and x= -1}∪{x I x≠1 and x≠ -1}= U[/B]
Just wanted to know if someone could go over my work and verify it. Thank you for your time.
I'm also uploading a picture of the author using the "or" inside the logical statement. Maybe someone could explain to me how to interpret the author correctly or whether he is wrong about this.

Attachments

• Negation Illustration.jpg
    Negation Illustration.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 346
Now you broke your proof. When you write ##Q = \{x\ |\ x=-1\text{ and }x=1\}##, you end up with Q being empty because there's no value of ##x## equal to 1 and -1 simultaneously.

You're interpreting the author's intent correctly. I just don't like the way the author writes that kind of expression. The words "and" and "or" have a precise meaning in the context of logic, but the author is using the human language interpretation of the word "or", which doesn't align with the mathematical interpretation. So the word caught my eye and initially I thought you made a mistake until I realized what you were going for there. I wouldn't say it's technically wrong, but it's not as clear as it could be.

vela said:
Now you broke your proof. When you write ##Q = \{x\ |\ x=-1\text{ and }x=1\}##, you end up with Q being empty because there's no value of ##x## equal to 1 and -1 simultaneously.

You're interpreting the author's intent correctly. I just don't like the way the author writes that kind of expression. The words "and" and "or" have a precise meaning in the context of logic, but the author is using the human language interpretation of the word "or", which doesn't align with the mathematical interpretation. So the word caught my eye and initially I thought you made a mistake until I realized what you were going for there. I wouldn't say it's technically wrong, but it's not as clear as it could be.
What would be the best way to express these kinds of sets? Thank you for your help.

The way I wrote it in post #4, for example.

vela said:
The way I wrote it in post #4, for example.
The way you wrote it applies to the set P' where x cannot equal 1 and cannot equal -1. My question would be, how can I write a set where x is allowed to take 2 values, either one or the other. In this case, set Q. I want to express that Q can take either the value of positive one or negative one.

Keen94 said:
The way you wrote it applies to the set P' where x cannot equal 1 and cannot equal -1. My question would be, how can I write a set where x is allowed to take 2 values, either one or the other. In this case, set Q. I want to express that Q can take either the value of positive one or negative one.
##Q = \{q | q = 1 ∨ q = -1\}##
Or you could write ##q = \pm 1##

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
##Q = \{q | q = 1 ∨ q = -1\}##
Or you could write ##q = \pm 1##

The image from the textbook is very nonstandard in my experience.
I think I will go the plus or minus route. Thank you again Mark.

FAQ: Truth Set for the given Equivalence

1. What is a truth set?

A truth set is a set of all the elements that satisfy a given statement or equation. In other words, it is the set of all the possible solutions to a given equation.

2. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation between two elements or sets that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that the relation is true for an element or set with itself, for any two equivalent elements or sets, and for any three elements or sets that are equivalent to each other.

3. How is an equivalence relation related to a truth set?

An equivalence relation can be used to determine the truth set for a given equation or statement. If the relation is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive, then the truth set will contain all the elements that satisfy the equation or statement.

4. What is the purpose of finding the truth set for a given equivalence?

The purpose of finding the truth set for a given equivalence is to determine all the possible solutions or elements that satisfy the given equation or statement. This can help in solving problems and making statements that are logically valid.

5. How can the truth set for a given equivalence be represented?

The truth set for a given equivalence can be represented in various ways, such as using set notation, roster notation, or a Venn diagram. It can also be represented as a list of all the elements that satisfy the given equation or statement.

Back