Try using a sterling approximation on the factorial

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the inequality \frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} < \left( {1 + \frac{1}{n}} \right)^n needs to be proven. The participants discuss using Stirling's approximation and the inequalities (1 + \frac{1}{k})^k \leq e \leq (1 + \frac{1}{k})^{k + 1} \right {(*)} to solve the problem. Eventually, a solution is provided using these inequalities and the problem is resolved.
Arhimede
Can somebody demonstrate :
[tex]\[
\frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} < \left( {1 + \frac{1}{n}} \right)^n
\]
[/tex]
ITS not A HOMEWORK

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Arhimede said:
Can somebody demonstrate :
[tex]\[
\frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} < \left( {1 + \frac{1}{n}} \right)^n
\]
[/tex]
ITS not A HOMEWORK

I suppose it wouldn't exactly be a proof but you could try using a sterling approximation on the factorial.

John Creighto said:
I suppose it wouldn't exactly be a proof but you could try using a sterling approximation on the factorial.

There must be a solution. several days i try to solve this problem but i do not reach any results.

Arhimede said:
There must be a solution. several days i try to solve this problem but i do not reach any results.

What application is the problem from?

From math's corpus

I think that I've figured out how to prove your inequality. I'm new to this board, but it seems that you are expected to show what you've already tried or where you got stuck, even if it's not homework. So, if you could give a brief summary of your work so far, that would help me to know what hints to give you. Also, your explanation that this problem came from "math's corpus" doesn't really mean anything in English. That's OK, but could you try again and be more specific? Thanks.

Good job Petek!

There is a form of Stirling's approximation that gives a range in which the factorial falls. I suspect that would suffice to solve this problem.

It's now been a week since the OP's last post (hope I didn't scare him/her off). Does anyone object to me posting my solution? I'd like others to check it for correctness.

Petek

Petek said:
It's now been a week since the OP's last post (hope I didn't scare him/her off). Does anyone object to me posting my solution? I'd like others to check it for correctness.

Go ahead, that shouldn't be a problem.

I agree. Looks kind of like a puzzle...

OK, here goes.
Exercise: Show that [tex]\[\frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} < \left( {1 + \frac{1}{n}} \right)^n \][/tex] for all natural numbers n.

Solution: We use without proof the following inequalities:

[tex](1 + \frac{1}{k})^k \leq e \leq (1 + \frac{1}{k})^{k + 1} \right {(*)}[/tex]

(where e is Euler's number) for all natural numbers k. A proof may be found in many calculus and real analysis books. (I couldn't find a good online reference for these inequalities. Does anyone know of one?)

For k = 1, 2, ..., n - 1, multiply together the inequalities on the left side of (*):[tex] \prod_{k=1}^{n-1}(1 + \frac{1}{k})^{k} \leq e^{n -1} [/tex]The left side of this inequality equals [tex]\frac{n^n}{n!} [/tex] (To see this, rewrite [tex](1 + \frac{1}{k})[/tex] as

[tex] \frac{k + 1}{k}[/tex], simplify the product to [tex]\[\frac{n^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}[/tex] and multiply by [tex]\frac{n}{n})[/tex].

Therefore[tex]\frac{n^n}{n!} \leq e^{n-1}[/tex]or,[tex]\[\frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} \leq e^{\frac{n-1}{n}} = e^{1-\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]Now, in (*), raise the right inequality to the power [tex]1 - \frac{1}{n}:[/tex][tex]e^{1-\frac{1}{n}} \leq (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{(n+1)(1-\frac{1}{n})} = (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{n-\frac{1}{n}}[/tex], which is strictly less than [tex](1 +

\frac{1}{n})^{n}[/tex].

Therefore, [tex]\[\frac{n}{{\sqrt[n]{{n!}}}} \leq e^{1-\frac{1}{n}} < (1 + \frac{1}{n})^{n}[/tex], as required.

Impressive!

thanks for solving it is quite simlpe resolved, I know another solve more complex, it seems that yours is the easier

Related to Try using a sterling approximation on the factorial

1. What is a sterling approximation?

A sterling approximation is a mathematical formula used to estimate the value of a factorial, which is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number. It is named after James Sterling, who first proposed the method in the 18th century.

2. How does a sterling approximation work?

The formula for a sterling approximation is n! ≈ √(2πn)(n/e)^n, where n is the given number. This approximation works by approximating the factorial as a combination of other mathematical functions, such as the square root, pi, and the exponential function.

3. When is it appropriate to use a sterling approximation?

Sterling approximations are most commonly used when dealing with large factorials that are difficult to calculate by hand. It is also useful when a rough estimate of the factorial value is needed, rather than an exact value.

4. Are there limitations to using a sterling approximation?

Yes, there are limitations to using a sterling approximation. It is only an estimation and may not provide an exact value for the factorial. Additionally, it is more accurate for larger values of n and may be less accurate for smaller values.

5. Are there any other methods for approximating factorials?

Yes, besides sterling approximations, there are other methods for approximating factorials, such as the Stirling-Ramanujan formula and the Gosper's algorithm. These methods may provide more accurate results for certain values of n.