Trying To Become Either a Physicist, Chemist or Biologist.

In summary, a Year 7 student with high marks in Science should aim to become a physicist, chemist, or biologist. If they are not good at maths, they should consider other physics-related fields.
TheBiologist
Hi, I'm a Year 7 student and I'm trying to become either a Physicist, Biologist or Chemist. I am currently in the top set for Science in school, my primary teacher think I'm a brilliant scientist, I'm dedicated to the subject, I mostly get Level 6s and 7s for in-class tasks and I'm expected to achieve a Level 6c by the end of the year. What qualifications do I require to ensure that I get to my dream jobs?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your dream jobs? If you are very good in math, consider physics because you can become a biophysicist, chemical physicist, or pick any other field in physics. If math (I mean calculus etc) is a problem, tell me your interests.

MiladP said:
What are your dream jobs? If you are very good in math, consider physics because you can become a biophysicist, chemical physicist, or pick any other field in physics. If math (I mean calculus etc) is a problem, tell me your interests.
Well, I like computers, technology, software, physics, chemistry and biology.

That's not an answer. Do you want to be in a lab? Do you want to be behind a computer? Do you want to be in front of a classroom? Do you want to travel around and give advice? Do you want to head meetings? Do you want to write research papers? Do you want to oversee production processes? Do you want to work for a company? Start your own? Work in academics? Etc etcAlso, you don't have to do all the things you like in your job. You can like biology, but not do it as a job. Same with computers. In fact, I think it is best to not turn your hobby into your job because if you do you lose your hobby.

Don't know what a 'year 7 student being a brilliant' scientist means. Does it mean you have two more years to go till you get your PhD? Does it mean you are in high school? Does it mean you are due to get a Nobel prize?

Also, you do not mention which country you are from. Could matter if you want concrete advice.

But you can be someone who does both biology and chemistry or biology and physics, like MiladP said.

You said you're in year 7 so I assume you're from the UK, and are about 13 years old. I commend that you're enthusiastic about science but I think you should step back and not think so much about your future. Just focus on your school, try get into a good grammar school and follow your nose. If you find something in your mathematics class interesting, read up on it for example. Just don't worry to much, and ask your teachers for extra reading.

My general advice as a theoretical physics major is very straight-forward.

1) Work hard in school in all your subjects, especially mathematics and the three sciences you mentioned. The combination of the four will literally lay the foundation for any advanced study in science and mathematics. Do not ignore your language courses. No one will take you seriously if you lack in language skills.

2) Do not ignore the arts. Learn how to sing or draw or paint or dance or play the glockenspiel or anything else. The best scientists I have ever met have literally all been talented artists of one kind or another.

3) Wait. You aren't going to have any real knowledge of what you like and want until you're at least 18. Keep an open mind.

Related to Trying To Become Either a Physicist, Chemist or Biologist.

1. What are the main differences between being a physicist, chemist, and biologist?

Physicists study the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, such as gravity, energy, and motion. Chemists focus on the composition, properties, and reactions of matter. Biologists study living organisms and their interactions with the environment.

2. How do I decide which field to pursue?

It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. If you enjoy solving complex mathematical and theoretical problems, physics may be a good fit for you. If you have a passion for understanding the chemical makeup of substances and how they interact, chemistry may be a better choice. If you are fascinated by living things and their processes, biology may be the field for you.

3. What education and skills are necessary to become a physicist, chemist, or biologist?

To become a physicist, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. For chemistry, a strong understanding of chemistry principles and laboratory techniques is essential. Biology requires a solid understanding of biology and other related sciences, as well as observational and analytical skills.

4. Can I work in more than one field as a scientist?

Yes, many scientists have interdisciplinary backgrounds and may work in multiple fields. For example, a chemist may work on biological research or a physicist may study the properties of materials. Interdisciplinary research is becoming increasingly important in advancing scientific understanding.

5. Are there any specific job opportunities for physicists, chemists, and biologists?

There are a wide range of job opportunities available for scientists in all three fields. Physicists can work in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology, as well as in academia. Chemists can find jobs in pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental science, among others. Biologists have opportunities in fields such as healthcare, agriculture, and conservation. Additionally, scientists may also work in research and development, teaching, or science communication.