Trying to Develop a Decryption Scheme for a Given Encryption

• Thread starter BWElbert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Encryption
In summary, the conversation discusses an encryption mapping using a modular equation and a matrix form over a ring. The participants are trying to determine if the encryption is uniquely decipherable and if not, how to decrypt it. They also mention the possibility of the encryption being probabilistically decipherable.
BWElbert
Hello PF friends!

Earlier this week a friend of mine (both of us are in the same mathematics department) posed an encryption mapping to me and I have thus far not been able to solve it. Here's the map of the k+1 layer:

[itex]\lambda_n^{k+1} = (\sum_{i=1}^{n} \lambda_i^{k})\; mod\; 27,[/itex]

where [itex]\lambda_i^{k}[/itex] is the numerical representation (A=0,B=1,...,' '=27) of the ith letter of the kth layer.

Clearly this encryption is punctuation-free and does not act on numbers. Let me show you what the process looks like:

Plaintext: H-E-L-L-O T-H-E-R-E
# Repr. : 7-4-11-11-14-26-19-7-4-17-4
Encrypt : 7-11-22-6-20-19-11-18-22-12-16

So far, I have shown that because the first number in the code never changes, determining the second letter reduces to solving a modular equation if we know how deeply encrypted the data is (a requisite for decrypting this in full, I think).

The first part I am working on is trying to show if it is Uniquely Decipherable or not--I haven't found a counter-example to it, but am also not sure how to apply the theorems of Sardinas and Kraft to this code.

Finally, if it is uniquely decipherable, I wonder if this code is at best probabilistically decipherable.

Any insight or thoughts would be great...I don't want to work on writing an encryption algorithm if I can't find a way to decrypt it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt it is uniquely decodable as ##\mathbb{Z}_{27}## has zero divisors. This should lead to problems.
First write the scheme in matrix form over this ring, which gives us a tool to deal with the problem. It looks as if it is a power of an upper triangular matrix. Decoding then means to invert this matrix, which is in general not possible in my opinion.

Related to Trying to Develop a Decryption Scheme for a Given Encryption

1. How do you determine the encryption algorithm used?

The first step in developing a decryption scheme is to determine the encryption algorithm used. This can be done by analyzing the encrypted data and looking for patterns or characteristics that are unique to a specific encryption algorithm.

2. What role does the key play in developing a decryption scheme?

The key is a crucial component in developing a decryption scheme. The key is used to transform the encrypted data back into its original form. Without the correct key, it is nearly impossible to decrypt the data successfully.

3. Can a decryption scheme work for all types of encryption?

No, a decryption scheme is specific to the encryption algorithm and key used. Different encryption algorithms have different methods and techniques, so a decryption scheme may not work for all types of encryption.

4. How do you test the effectiveness of a decryption scheme?

The effectiveness of a decryption scheme can be tested by using known encrypted data and attempting to decrypt it using the scheme. If the decrypted data matches the original data, then the scheme is effective.

5. Are there any limitations to developing a decryption scheme?

Yes, there are some limitations to developing a decryption scheme. These include the complexity of the encryption algorithm, the length and randomness of the key, and the resources and time available for developing the scheme. In some cases, it may be impossible to develop a successful decryption scheme.