Trying to find the measure of a set.

• Thread starter Jamesandthegi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure Set
In summary, the conversation is about determining the Lebesgue measure of two sets, A and B, defined as {x in [0,1) : the nth digit in the decimal expansion is equal to 7} and {x in [0,1) : all but finitely many digits in the decimal expansion are equal to 7}, respectively. The book defines a set to be Lebesgue measurable if it can be written as the union of a Borel set and a null set. The speaker has solved for A but is unsure about B. The final conclusion is that B is measurable and its measure is 0.
Jamesandthegi
I am trying to learn about Lebesgue measure. One of the questions I couldn't solve is this;

Show that the following sets are Lebesgue measurable and determine their measure

A = {x in [0,1) : the nth digit in the decimal expansion is equal to 7}

B = {x in [0,1) : all but finitely many digits in the decimal expansion are equal to 7}

Now, the book defines a set E to be Lebesgue measurable if E = A U B, where A is in the Borel $\sigma$-algebra and B is a null set (outer measure 0), but I don't see where that helps here. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I figured out A, but I'm not sure on B. Any help?

The measure is 0. The general idea is that for any n if n digits are 7, then the measure is (1/10)n. So let n -> ∞

Yes, but that doesn't prove that it's measurable. To prove its so, you have to write it as A U B, A borel and B null. Then the measure part I get.

If its null it is measurable. You can always union it with the empty set of you insist on having a Borel set to union with.

For a fixed finite set of decimal place not equal to seven the number of points is finite. So for instance the number of points if only the first 2 place are not 7 is 100. The number of finite subsets of a countable set is countable, I think. So the union of all of these finite sets is countable and thus Borel measurable zero.

Related to Trying to find the measure of a set.

What is the definition of a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, known as elements, that have certain characteristics in common.

What is the importance of finding the measure of a set?

Finding the measure of a set allows us to understand the size and properties of the set, which can help us analyze and compare different sets.

What are the different methods for finding the measure of a set?

The most common methods for finding the measure of a set are counting, using formulas, and using probability. Each method is suitable for different types of sets and situations.

What are some common applications of finding the measure of a set?

Finding the measure of a set is used in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, and economics. It can be applied to analyze data, make predictions, and solve real-world problems.

What are some challenges in finding the measure of a set?

One challenge in finding the measure of a set is determining which method is most appropriate for a given set. Another challenge is dealing with complex or infinite sets, which may require advanced mathematical techniques.