Trying to graph a parameterised 3D function in maple 11

In summary, the conversation is about trying to graph a parameterized 3D function in Maple 11 with two constant terms that each satisfy their own condition. The goal is to be able to plug in different values for the constants and see the resulting graph without having to manually change the parameterization.
andlook
Hi been trying to graph a parameterised 3D function in maple 11. My problem is that I have two constant terms that satisfy there own condition. That is, simplified, I need to draw:

x(t)= (a/b)*sin(b*t)
y(t)= (a/b)*cos(b*t)
z(t)= a*t*sin(b*t)

subject to (a^2)+(b^2)=1.

Any ideas how to incorporate this into Maple?

Much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

For a fixed pair (a,b) your graph is a curve in 3-space. Can you draw that with Maple?

When (a,b) vary, what is it you want to draw?

yeah I can draw it with fixed a&b,

I think I want to know is it possible to program maple so that i can write a and b in the parametrisation, but define there values outside of the expression for the graph.

The idea being that I want to plug many different values of a and b to see the resulting graph, without having to go through the parameterisation and change them directly. (I my actual example there is around twenty a's and b's)

Related to Trying to graph a parameterised 3D function in maple 11

1. How do I input a parameterised 3D function in Maple 11?

To input a parameterised 3D function in Maple 11, you can use the "plot3d" command and specify the function using the parameters "u" and "v". For example, "plot3d(cos(u), sin(u), v, u=0..2*Pi, v=0..2*Pi)" will graph the function cos(u) vs. sin(u) with v as the parameter ranging from 0 to 2*Pi and u as the parameter ranging from 0 to 2*Pi.

2. Can I graph multiple parameterised 3D functions in one plot?

Yes, you can graph multiple parameterised 3D functions in one plot by using the "display" command. For example, "display(plot3d(cos(u), sin(u), v, u=0..2*Pi, v=0..2*Pi), plot3d(sin(u), cos(u), v, u=0..2*Pi, v=0..2*Pi))" will graph both cos(u) vs. sin(u) and sin(u) vs. cos(u) on the same plot.

3. How can I customize the appearance of my 3D graph?

You can customize the appearance of your 3D graph by using the various options available in the "plot3d" command. These options include changing the color, style, and scaling of the graph. You can also add labels, titles, and legends to your graph using the "label", "title", and "legend" options.

4. Is it possible to rotate and view my 3D graph from different angles?

Yes, you can rotate and view your 3D graph from different angles by using the "orientation" option in the "plot3d" command. This option allows you to specify the rotation angles for the x, y, and z axes, allowing you to view your graph from different perspectives.

5. Can I export my 3D graph in different file formats?

Yes, you can export your 3D graph in different file formats by using the "exportplot" command. This command allows you to save your graph as an image file, such as a JPEG or PNG, or as a vector file, such as PDF or SVG. You can also specify the resolution and size of the exported graph using the "resolution" and "size" options.