Trying to Make a (p[slash])^2 operator - is this right?

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve for pslash^2 using Feynman slash-notation and the relevant equations for the gammas. It is mentioned that pslash^2 is symmetric in d^mu and d^nu, allowing for an easier solution.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

Find out what p[slash]p[slash] is (Feynman slash-notation), because Maple doesn't like it when you feed it p[slash]p[slash], and let it uber-"FOIL" out the (four non-commuting terms) x (four non-commuting terms), where the "x" denotes plain Jane matrix-multiplication.

Homework Equations

[tex]\begin{array}{c}
[{\partial _\mu },{\gamma _\nu }] \equiv 0 \\
{\gamma _0}^2 = - {\gamma _i}^2 \equiv {\bf{I}} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{array}{c}
{p_{{\rm{slash}}}}{p_{{\rm{slash}}}} = - ({\gamma _\mu }{\partial ^\mu })({\gamma _\nu }{\partial ^\nu }) \\
= - \left( {{\gamma _0}{\partial ^0} - \vec \gamma \bullet \vec \partial } \right)\left( {{\gamma _0}{\partial ^0} - \vec \gamma \bullet \vec \partial } \right) \\
= - \left( {{\gamma _0}^2{{({\partial ^0})}^2} + (\vec \gamma \bullet \vec \gamma ){\nabla ^2} - 2({\gamma _0}{\partial ^0})(\vec \gamma \bullet \vec \partial )} \right) \\
{p_{{\rm{slash}}}}{p_{{\rm{slash}}}} = - \left( {({\bf{I}}){{({\partial ^0})}^2} + ( - 3{\bf{I}}){\nabla ^2} - 2({\gamma _0}{\partial ^0})(\vec \gamma \bullet \vec \partial )} \right) \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry! LaTeX is bad.

bjnartowt said:
sorry! LaTeX is bad.

Um...writing text below the thread-start actually fixed the problem :-p

No, it is not right. To get the right answer, begin by noting that pslash^2 is symmetric in d^mu and d^nu.

There is one more relevant equation that the gammas satisfy that you need to solve this, as well.

chrispb said:
pslash^2 is symmetric in d^mu and d^nu.

Hi chrispb, thank you for stopping to help us answer this question.

May I ask: does "symmetric" mean pslash^2 is equal to its own transpose?

No, I just mean [tex]{\gamma _\mu }{\partial ^\mu }{\gamma _\nu }{\partial ^\nu }={\gamma _\mu }{\gamma _\nu }{\partial ^\mu }{\partial ^\nu }={\gamma _\mu }{\gamma _\nu }{\partial ^\nu }{\partial ^\mu }[/tex].

What this means is you can write [tex]{\partial ^\mu }{\partial ^\nu }=\frac{1}{2}({\partial ^\mu }{\partial ^\nu }+{\partial ^\nu }{\partial ^\mu })[/tex] free of charge.

Related to Trying to Make a (p[slash])^2 operator - is this right?

1. What is a (p[slash])^2 operator?

A (p[slash])^2 operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to represent the square of the momentum operator in the Dirac equation. It is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. Why is it important to try to make a (p[slash])^2 operator?

The (p[slash])^2 operator is important because it is a fundamental part of the Dirac equation, which is used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. How do scientists try to make a (p[slash])^2 operator?

Scientists use mathematical equations and principles to derive the (p[slash])^2 operator. They also perform experiments and observations to test and validate the accuracy of their equations.

4. Is the (p[slash])^2 operator always accurate in describing particle behavior?

The (p[slash])^2 operator is a mathematical representation and, like any model, it may not always accurately describe the behavior of particles in all situations. However, it is a widely accepted and highly useful tool in understanding and predicting particle behavior.

5. How does the (p[slash])^2 operator relate to other quantum operators?

The (p[slash])^2 operator is related to other quantum operators, such as the position and momentum operators, through mathematical equations. These operators work together to describe the behavior and properties of particles at the quantum level.