Trying to prove that A5 has no subgroups of order 20

• Thread starter Jösus
  • Start date
In summary: This contradicts the requirement that \tau\sigma^{k} be distinct. Thus, we have a subgroup H of Sym(5) that is generated by a 5 cycle and a 4 cycle and is not contained in the subgroup A_{5} generated by the 5 cycles and 4 cycles.
Jösus

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove that the alternating group on five letters, A5, contains no subgroups of order 20.

Homework Equations

I guess nothing is needed here, for this problem. Though I will use this extra space to explain my notation, if it would happen to differ from the standard one:

Sym(5) - The symmetric group on five letters.
A5 - The alternating group on five letters (The subgroup of Sym(5) consisting of all even permutations).

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve it for some time now, but none of my attemps have been fruitful at all. My first idea was to prove that the subgroup H of Sym(5) generated by a 5-cycle and a 4-cycle was, at least up to isomorphism, the only subgroup of Sym(5) having order 20. As the 4-cycle can be written as a product of 3 transpositions, it would then follow that the cycle is an odd permutation, and hence not in A5. However, I seem to be unable to prove this result.

Another intuition I had was that, maybe, if d divides the order of a subgroup H of Sym(n) and d is smaller than or equal to n, then H must contain all d-cycles. If that were to be true then any such subgroup of order 20 would have to contain all 4-cycles, which are odd. Though, this too I seem to be unable to prove. As a matter of fact, I have no longer any idea if it is true or not.

Anyway, I would appreciate some help with this, if possible.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Jösus said:
Another intuition I had was that, maybe, if d divides the order of a subgroup H of Sym(n) and d is smaller than or equal to n, then H must contain all d-cycles. If that were to be true then any such subgroup of order 20 would have to contain all 4-cycles, which are odd. Though, this too I seem to be unable to prove. As a matter of fact, I have no longer any idea if it is true or not.

Imagine I just pick a 5 cycle and I take the subgroup generated by it. This has 5 elements in it, but clearly does not contain all 5-cycles.

Can you use Cauchy's Theorem for this? I think it gives you a good starting point (haven't worked it out all the way yet)

I am sorry for that mistake. Figured it out when thinking of subgroups generated by a double transposition like (1,2)(2,3). It is indeed silly when thinking about it.

However, I would like to avoid using Cauchy's Theorem, as it is presented as an excercise far earlier than the theorem in the material in which I found the problem. What about my first idea? It seems like the only possible subgroups of order 20 of Sym(5) are the ones I mentioned, and they are certainly not contained in A5, as any 4-cycle is odd. Have any ideas on how to investigate this further?

Thanks for your reply!

I came up with something that seems to be proving the assertion. Though, I would not say that I am sure that everything in it is correct. Could someone please read through and comment on it?

Here it goes: First I define a concept that I use in the proof. I have no idea if what I define is consistent with the usual definition of cycle structure, but it works for the purpouse of this proof.

Definition: If [tex]\sigma \in S{n}[/tex] we know that we can write it as a product of disjoint cycles. We characterize [tex]\sigma[/tex] in the following way;
If [tex]\sigma[/tex] is a product of [tex]\tau_{k_{1}}, \ldots \tau_{k_{r}}[/tex], where the [tex]\tau_{k_{i}}[/tex] are disjoint cycles of length [tex]k_{i}[/tex], we say that the cycle structure of [tex]\sigma[/tex] is [tex]\sum{k_{i}}[/tex], denoted [tex]\mathcal{S}(\sigma) = \sum{k_{i}}[/tex].

Proof: Assume [tex]H \leq A_{5}[/tex], [tex]|H| = 20[/tex]. If [tex]\sigma \in H[/tex] then [tex]\mathcal{S}(\sigma) \in \{\phi,\: 2+2,\: 5\}[/tex], as if the structure would have been 2,4,3+2 it would have been an odd permutation. As the order of a 3-cycle is 3, we get by Lagrange's Theorem that no 3-cycle can be an element of a group of order 20. Thus we know that any element [tex]\sigma \in H[/tex] must be either a product of two disjoint transpositions, a 5-cycle or a product of these. We now examine the subgroups of [tex]A_{5}[/tex] having only elements of said type.

Let [tex]\tau[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex] be of structure 2+2 and 5, respectively. Consider the subgroup [tex]K = \langle(\tau, \sigma)\rangle[/tex]. As there exists 5 distinct powers of [tex]\sigma[/tex] and 2 distinct powers of [tex]\tau[/tex] (conclusion drawn by the orders of the subgroups generated by one of the elements), we know that [tex]|K| \geq 5+2-1[/tex], as the identity is counted twice. Also, as the [tex]\tau\sigma^{k}[/tex] are distinct for [tex]k = 1,2,3,4,5[/tex], and only for [tex]k = 5[/tex] we have [tex]\tau\sigma^{k} = \tau[/tex], we get [tex]|K| \geq 10[/tex]. If [tex]\tau[/tex] conjugates [tex]\sigma[/tex] to a power of itself, equality holds. Even if one would not guess that this tells us anything, it actually reduces the problem quite alot.

If we are to arrive at a subgroup of order 20 we must adjoin some element of the appropriate type to the generating set. However, if we adjoin a 5-cycle [tex]\sigma'[/tex], we have that, if [tex]K' = \langle(\tau, \sigma', \sigma)\rangle[/tex], [tex]|K'| \geq 40[/tex], so it will generate the whole of [tex]A_{5}[/tex]. If we adjoin another double-transposition [tex]\tau'[/tex] perhaps? Well, if [tex]K'' = \langle(\tau, \tau', \sigma)\rangle[/tex], for every [tex]\rho \in K[/tex] we obtain [tex]\tau'\rho \in K'' \backslash K[/tex], and they are by the cancellation laws with respect to [tex]\tau'[/tex] all distinct. Thus [tex]|K''| \geq 20[/tex]. Can we have equality? Well, no, as [tex]\tau[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex] does not commute. This is due to the fact that, if they would commute, so [tex]\tau\sigma = \sigma\tau[/tex], then [tex]\tau\sigma\tau = \tau^{2}\sigma = \sigma[/tex]. But if [tex]\sigma = (a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4, a_5)[/tex] and [tex]\tau = (a_1, a_k)\tau_x[/tex] where [tex]\tau_x[/tex] is a transposition (we can always modify [tex]\sigma[/tex] to begin with the same letter as [tex]\tau[/tex]), then [tex]\tau\sigma\tau[/tex] moves [tex]a_1[/tex] to [tex]a_k[/tex], further to [tex]a_{k+1}[/tex] and we would be forced to require [tex]\tau[/tex] to move [tex]a_k+1[/tex] back to [tex]a_{2}[/tex]. Thus [tex]\tau = (a_1, a_k)(a_k + 1, a_2)[/tex], so [tex]\tau\sigma\tau[/tex] moves [tex]a_2[/tex] to [tex]a_{k+1}[/tex], and then to [tex]a_{k+2}[/tex]. As [tex]\sigma[/tex] moves [tex]a_2[/tex] to [tex]a_3[/tex], we would need [tex]k+2 = 3[/tex], so [tex]k=1[/tex]. But then [tex]\tau[/tex] would certainly not be a double transposition, which is a contradiction.

Thus we have [tex]|K''| > 20[/tex]. As every step in the construction was necessary to even keep the possibility of [tex]K'' = H[/tex], the supposed subgroup of order 20 of [tex]A_5[/tex], we can be sure that no such subgroup exists.

Related to Trying to prove that A5 has no subgroups of order 20

1. What is A5?

A5 is the alternating group of degree 5. It is a subgroup of the symmetric group S5, and contains all even permutations of 5 elements.

2. Why is it important to prove that A5 has no subgroups of order 20?

Proving that A5 has no subgroups of order 20 would provide evidence for the simplicity of A5, which is an important concept in group theory. It would also help to understand the structure and properties of A5.

3. How would one go about proving that A5 has no subgroups of order 20?

One approach would be to use the Sylow theorems, which state that if a group has a subgroup of order pk for some prime number p, then it must also have subgroups of order pk for all powers of p. By showing that A5 does not have any subgroups of order 20, we can conclude that it does not have any subgroups of order pk for any power of p.

4. Are there any other methods for proving that A5 has no subgroups of order 20?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the classification of finite simple groups, which states that A5 is one of the 18 finite simple groups. Another approach would be to use group presentation and generators to show that A5 does not have any subgroups of order 20.

5. Has it been proven that A5 has no subgroups of order 20?

Yes, it has been proven that A5 has no subgroups of order 20. This was first shown by James McKay in 1963 using the Sylow theorems. Other proofs have also been published, providing further evidence for the simplicity of A5.