Trying to (Simply) Simulate a Protoplanetary Disc

• Thread starter ThePsion5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disc
In summary, the speaker is an amateur astrophysicist interested in creating a web-based simulation of planetary formation. They plan to start with a rudimentary simulation of a protoplanetary disc by using density, temperature, and shear force attributes to calculate a metric for stability. They are unsure of where to start and are looking for guidance on writing algorithms to simulate fluid dynamics and gravitational instability. An example of a starting point could be to calculate the total mass and temperature of the disc using given equations.
ThePsion5
Hi,
I'm a (very) amateur astrophysicist, and for the past couple of weeks I've been interested in creating a very rough web-based simulation of planetary formation. I've decided to limit the initial scope of this project as much as possible by starting with a VERY rudimentary simulation of a protoplanetary disc.

I know that I have little hope of understanding the math and writing/understanding algorithms to simulate things like fluid dynamics and gravitational instability, so instead I want to try and simulate a protoplanetary disc as a horizontal cross-section with density, temperature, and shear force attributes. I can then use these attributes to calculate a rough metric for stability per any radial section of the disc and from there work on simulating planet formation.

I THINK that this is possible - at least to the extent that it won't give wildly unrealistic or physically impossible results. But I'm not exactly sure where to start. I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction (or a direction in general).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: An example of where I might start is by writing an algorithm that will determine the average temperature of the disc at radius r given some basic info about its mass and density.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The first step would be to calculate the total mass of the disc, M_disc. This can be done using the formula M_disc = 2*pi*rho*r_max^2, where rho is the average density and r_max is the maximum radius of the disc. Once the total mass is known, the temperature at any given radius can be calculated by assuming that the disc is in thermal equilibrium. The temperature at radius r can then be determined using the equation T(r) = (3/8)*(G*M_disc/k_B)*(1/r), where G is the gravitational constant, k_B is the Boltzmann constant, and M_disc is the total mass of the disc. From here, you can then use the temperature (and possibly other parameters like the shear force) to calculate a metric for stability per any radial section of the disc. Good luck!

FAQ: Trying to (Simply) Simulate a Protoplanetary Disc

1. What is a protoplanetary disc?

A protoplanetary disc is a rotating disk of gas and dust that surrounds a young star. It is the birthplace of planets and other celestial bodies, and provides the raw materials for their formation.

2. Why is it important to simulate a protoplanetary disc?

Simulating a protoplanetary disc allows scientists to better understand the processes involved in planet formation. It also helps in predicting the characteristics of newly formed planets and their potential for hosting life.

3. How is a protoplanetary disc simulated?

A protoplanetary disc is simulated using complex computer models that take into account factors such as gravity, gas dynamics, and temperature. These models can also incorporate information about the composition and structure of the disc.

4. What challenges are faced in simulating a protoplanetary disc?

One of the main challenges in simulating a protoplanetary disc is the vast amount of data and calculations required. Additionally, accurately representing the various physical processes at play, such as turbulence and magnetic fields, can be difficult.

5. What can we learn from simulations of protoplanetary discs?

Simulations of protoplanetary discs can provide insight into the formation and evolution of planets, as well as the diversity of planetary systems. They can also help in understanding the conditions necessary for the formation of habitable worlds.