Trying to solve an equation with variables

• Thread starter dscot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the process for solving an equation with variables involves isolating the variable and simplifying the other side using inverse operations. The most common types of equations with variables are linear equations, quadratic equations, and systems of equations. Inverse operations are used to isolate the variable and simplify the other side. To check if a solution is correct, it can be substituted back into the original equation. Common mistakes to avoid include not performing the same operation on both sides, not distributing correctly, and not following the order of operations. It is important to carefully check and use the correct signs and symbols.
dscot
Hi,

So I have this simple equation that I'm trying to solve in mathematica , the problem is that although I have all the different values and equation I can't seem to get the solve command to solve it - http://screencast.com/t/a8REzNM0cxSS

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Dave,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you are using the wrong syntax.
Have you looked up the help information for Solve?

Related to Trying to solve an equation with variables

What is the process for solving an equation with variables?

The process for solving an equation with variables involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side by using inverse operations. This will ultimately lead to finding the value of the variable.

What are the most common types of equations with variables?

The most common types of equations with variables are linear equations, quadratic equations, and systems of equations. These types of equations involve different levels of complexity and may require different methods for solving.

What are inverse operations and how are they used in solving equations with variables?

Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. For example, addition and subtraction are inverse operations, as are multiplication and division. In solving equations with variables, inverse operations are used to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and simplify the other side.

How do I know if my solution to an equation with variables is correct?

To check if your solution to an equation with variables is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with variables?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with variables include not performing the same operation on both sides of the equation, not distributing correctly, and forgetting to apply the order of operations. It is also important to carefully check your work and make sure you are using the correct signs and symbols.