Trying to solve the problems of the universe

• Thread starter Aknight
  • Start date
In summary, the quest to solve the problems of the universe is a complex and ongoing pursuit that involves a multitude of disciplines, theories, and perspectives. From attempting to understand the origins and workings of the universe to addressing social and environmental issues on a global scale, this endeavor encompasses a vast array of challenges and possibilities. It requires collaboration, open-mindedness, and a willingness to constantly question and explore, as well as an acknowledgement of the vastness and complexity of the universe and our place within it. While there may never be a definitive solution to all of the universe's problems, the journey towards understanding and betterment is a crucial and endlessly fascinating one.
Aknight
How did you find PF?
top Google search
Hello all...
I have taught physics at the high school (AP) and college level. However, my masters is in nuclear engineering (MIT) and I am now looking toward a Ph.D. in physics. My interests are the hard philosophical questions physics... do we have free will?... what does quantum mechanics tell us about the nature of reality?... etc. [moderator: removed link to personal blog]
Looking forward to contributing on this forum.
Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you. I'll expect you will find your time here worth while.

It would be useful to look at our guidelines.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
We like mainstream science such as in textbooks and journal papers. That does not include philosophy. Still, there is lots of room for questions, just downplay the philosophy part.

We also frown on people advertising personal blogs in their intro posts. It smacks of solicitation. I edited that part out.

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
We also frown on people advertising personal blogs in their intro posts. It smacks of solicitation. I edited that part out.

It was interesting though! Not at all philosophical.

PeroK said:
It was interesting though! Not at all philosophical.
I agree. We get lots of intro posts whose purpose is to solicit clicks. Sometimes they conceal it with some intro verbiage. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it would be a bad precedent if we allow it.

I understand. I don't care about "clicks" and just figured that my blog was part of who I am, my intro, etc.

Likes berkeman and PeroK
I posted a long post about trying to understand double-slit interference, but it has not posted yet. Did I choose the wrong forum? I chose the "Quantum Interpretations and Foundations," but should it have gone under "Quantum Mechanics" instead?

I can't see it in any case. I would have said it's QM. The other forum is very recent, so I'm not sure what really should go there.

OK I'll try the other one. Thank you.

anorlunda said:
Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you. I'll expect you will find your time here worth while.

It would be useful to look at our guidelines.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
We like mainstream science such as in textbooks and journal papers. That does not include philosophy. Still, there is lots of room for questions, just downplay the philosophy part.

Please withdraw my post.

I am not trying to get traffic on my blog... I am trying to figure out the answer to an important physics question. Apparently physicsforums.com is not the right place.

Related to Trying to solve the problems of the universe

1. How do scientists approach solving the problems of the universe?

Scientists approach solving the problems of the universe through a combination of observation, experimentation, and mathematical modeling. They use advanced technology and tools to collect data and analyze it, and then develop theories and hypotheses to explain the phenomena they observe.

2. What are some of the biggest challenges in trying to solve the problems of the universe?

Some of the biggest challenges in trying to solve the problems of the universe include the vastness and complexity of the universe, limited technology and resources, and the limitations of our current understanding of physics and the laws of nature. Additionally, many of the phenomena in the universe are still largely unknown and require further research and exploration.

3. Can we ever truly solve all the problems of the universe?

It is unlikely that we will ever be able to solve all the problems of the universe, as there will always be new discoveries and mysteries to uncover. However, through continued research and collaboration, we can make significant progress in understanding the universe and its workings.

4. How do scientists test their theories about the universe?

Scientists test their theories about the universe through a process known as the scientific method. This involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing experiments to test the hypothesis, and analyzing the results. Theories that are supported by evidence and repeatedly tested are considered to be more accurate and reliable.

5. What are some potential benefits of solving the problems of the universe?

Solving the problems of the universe can lead to a better understanding of the universe and our place within it. This can also have practical applications, such as developing new technologies and advancements in fields like medicine and engineering. Additionally, solving these problems can satisfy our innate curiosity and drive for knowledge.