Trying to understand Eigenvectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors for a given matrix. The matrix's characteristic polynomial is used to compute the eigenvalues, which are found to be 1, 2, and 3. The concept of eigenvectors is then explored, with the conversation focusing on finding the eigenvectors for λ = 1. It is determined that x1 and x3 must equal 0, while x2 can be any real number. The conversation ends with a clarification on the eigenvectors for this eigenvalue.
noelo2014

Homework Statement

Find the Eigenvalues of A=

4 0 1
-2 1 0
-2 0 1

Then find the eigenvectors corresponding to each of the eigenvalues.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Characteristic Polynomial of the matrix, computed the Eigenvalues which are 1,2,3.

What I'm trying to get my head around is the concept of the eigenvectors.

First of all I attempted to find the eigenvector(s) for λ=1. So I constructed the matrix (A-Iλ), row-reduced and got the matrix:

1 0 0
0 0 1
0 0 0

This matrix corresponds to the set of linear eqns (A-Iλ)x, and x must be non-zero. So normally I'd just read the solutions from this matrix and tell myself

x1=0
and
x3=0

I did this in maple and it gave me the value (0,1,0) as the eigenvector corresponding to λ=1, but x2 doesn't equal zero in any of these rows. Can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no constraint on x2, so it is arbitrary. 1 is chosen so that the eigenvector is properly normalized. The eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue ##\lambda =1## is then all vectors of the form ##\langle 0, k, 0\rangle##.

Ok, so what you're saying is that x1 has to be zero and x3 has to be zero but x2 can be anything?

I think I get it, I think I'll just need to practice more questions like this. It's a bit subtle.

It might be helpful to put some words with the work you did.

When you were finding the eigenvectors for λ = 1, you ended up with this matrix:
$$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$

Your work started with the matrix equation (A - 1I)x = 0. By row-reduction, you got to the matrix I show above.

This matrix represents the linear system
x1 + 0x2 + 0x3 = 0
0x1 + 0x2 + x3 = 0
0x1 + 0x2 + 0x3 = 0

Or more simply,
x1 = 0
x3 = 0

Since there are no conditions or restrictions on x2, you can substitute any real value for x2. This means that any vector of the form <0, k, 0> is an eigenvector for λ = 1. For convenience's sake, k = 1 is chosen, making the eigenvector <0, 1, 0>. Any multiple of that vector would also be an eigenvector for this eigenvalue.

Related to Trying to understand Eigenvectors

1. What is an Eigenvector?

An Eigenvector is a vector that does not change its direction when a linear transformation is applied to it. It is represented by a column vector and has a special relationship with its corresponding Eigenvalue.

2. Why are Eigenvectors important?

Eigenvectors are important because they provide a basis for understanding complex linear transformations and can help simplify the calculation of these transformations. They are also used in many applications such as data analysis, image processing, and machine learning.

3. How can Eigenvectors be calculated?

Eigenvectors can be calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of a matrix. Alternatively, they can also be calculated using specialized algorithms such as the power iteration method or the QR iteration method.

4. What is the relationship between Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues have a special relationship where the Eigenvalue represents the scalar that scales the Eigenvector during a linear transformation. In other words, the Eigenvector and its corresponding Eigenvalue are like a pair that describes the behavior of a linear transformation.

5. How are Eigenvectors used in data analysis?

In data analysis, Eigenvectors are used to reduce the dimensionality of high-dimensional data sets. This is done by finding the Eigenvectors of the data's covariance matrix and selecting the ones with the highest Eigenvalues. These Eigenvectors, also known as principal components, can then be used to represent the data in a lower-dimensional space while preserving the most important information.