Trying to understand why I got this problem wrong

• Thread starter Bruh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question on acceleration during a skydiving scenario. The question is specifically looking for a more realistic answer, taking into account air resistance. The OP initially chose the incorrect answer, A, and was unsure where they went wrong in their computation. They later realize their mistake and consider the option of terminal velocity, leading to the correct answer, B. However, this approach relies on knowing about terminal velocity rather than deducing the answer from the physics.
Bruh
Homework Statement
So the problem states: "A skydiver jumps from a high-flying plane. As her velocity of fall increases, her acceleration:
A.) Increase B.) Decreases C.) Remains unchanged regardless of air resistance.
Relevant Equations
The only equations provided for this situation are:
A = Change in V/Time interval & V = A * Time(only in free fall motion)
I selected A.) but the answer is B.)

My logic was this: V1 = 10m/s, T = 5s, so A = 2
V2 = 20m/s, T = 5s, so A = 4

Am I applying the wrong equation to the situation, or simply what am I getting wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You chose the simplistic parameters of basic physics texts.

[edit: true, but what I missed was that the OP answered the question wrongly, stating that acceleration would increase]

The question appears to be specifically requiring something more realistic.

As the fall of a skydiver progresses, does downwards acceleration :
a) increase,
b) decrease,
c) stay the same.

May as well include "why ?"

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
You chose the simplistic parameters of basic physics texts. The question appears to be specifically requiring something more realistic.

As the fall of a skydiver progresses, does downwards acceleration :
a) increase,
b) decrease,
c) stay the same.

May as well include "why ?"
I'm unsure what you mean. It was a question on one of my previous exams, and I need to understand why I got it wrong because I am sure a similar question will be on the final. :/

Your computation is wrong, even in a vacuum. However, the wording of choice C suggests you are supposed to think about air resistance. What does that suggest?

Last edited:
PAllen said:
Your computation is wrong, even in a vacuum. However, the wording of choice C suggests you are supposed to think about air resistance. What does that suggest?
I guess it means that they would be reaching terminal velocity and that would make sense, but I considered each of the situations absent of air resistance. Can you explain where I went wrong computationally?

Bruh said:
I guess it means that they would be reaching terminal velocity and that would make sense, but I considered each of the situations absent of air resistance. Can you explain where I went wrong computationally?
Firstly, my bad for not noticing that your answer was wrong on another level.

You chose option 'A'. Why ?

Bruh said:
My logic was this: V1 = 10m/s, T = 5s, so A = 2
V2 = 20m/s, T = 5s, so A = 4
Not sure how you are getting those numbers. If the acceleration is ##2m/s^2## then after 5s the velocity will be 10m/s. After a further 5s the velocity will be 20m/s. The acceleration in the second 5s is the increase in velocity divided by the duration, (20-10)/5=2.
You seem to have divided the velocity gain over 10s by a duration of 5s.

hmmm27 said:
Firstly, my bad for not noticing that your answer was wrong on another level.

You chose option 'A'. Why ?
I realize now I was thinking about the question wrong in 2 ways. I didn't take into account air resistance because I thought that C made it a nonfactor for the other answers(just didn't take my time to think it through), and I also was considering 2 different people falling at 2 different velocities (V1/V2) but it was really just one scenario. I chose A because I applied their 2 initial velocities and didn't take the difference of one persons initial velocity and ending velocity. Right? Could I just assume that once they reach terminal velocity their acceleration would inevitably be 0, so the answer is B without any math?

haruspex said:
Not sure how you are getting those numbers. If the acceleration is ##2m/s^2## then after 5s the velocity will be 10m/s. After a further 5s the velocity will be 20m/s. The acceleration in the second 5s is the increase in velocity divided by the duration, (20-10)/5=2.
You seem to have divided the velocity gain over 10s by a duration of 5s.
I realize now I was thinking about the question wrong in 2 ways. I didn't take into account air resistance because I thought that C made it a nonfactor for the other answers(just didn't take my time to think it through), and I also was considering 2 different people falling at 2 different velocities (V1/V2) but it was really just one scenario. I chose A because I applied their 2 initial velocities and didn't take the difference of one persons initial velocity and ending velocity. Right? Could I just assume that once they reach terminal velocity their acceleration would inevitably be 0, so the answer is B without any math?

Bruh said:
Could I just assume that once they reach terminal velocity their acceleration would inevitably be 0, so the answer is B without any math?
That works, but it does mean you have to use the knowledge that there is a terminal velocity, rather than deducing the answer from the physics.

Likes Bruh
haruspex said:
That works, but it does mean you have to use the knowledge that there is a terminal velocity, rather than deducing the answer from the physics.
That is true. I have a lot of material to review, so as long as I can have some way of understanding it, then its better than nothing :) Thanks for the help brother!

Have you ever learned that g, in equations like ##s=-(1/2)gt^2+v_0t+s_0## is taken to be a constant (a simplification valid for distances less than many kilometers near earth)? This answers the question without air resistance. Have you ever seen an equation like ##F_{drag} \propto -v## , for air resistance? (This is an approximation ignoring turbulence, useful for many common situations). Without any detailed math, this is sufficient to answer the question.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and Bruh
PAllen said:
Have you ever learned that g, in equations like ##s=-(1/2)gt^2+v_0t+s_0## is taken to be a constant (a simplification valid for distances less than many kilometers near earth)? This answers the question without air resistance. Have you ever seen an equation like ##F_{drag}=-v## , for air resistance? (This is an approximation ignoring turbulence, useful for many common situations). Without any detailed math, this is sufficient to answer the question.
Oh lord, nah I haven't learned those concepts yet. It is a conceptual physics course, but only an introductory one. Thank you for pointing out the problem I had with the air resistance. That really helped a lot!

Bruh said:
Oh lord, nah I haven't learned those concepts yet. It is a conceptual physics course, but only an introductory one. Thank you for pointing out the problem I had with the air resistance. That really helped a lot!
At the conceptual level, you do not need anything as fancy as a proportionality. All you need is "the faster you go, the greater air resistance becomes".

Then ask yourself whether air resistance increases your downward acceleration or decreases it.

Likes Bruh and sysprog

Related to Trying to understand why I got this problem wrong

1. Why did I get this problem wrong?

There could be a variety of reasons why you got a problem wrong. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, misreading the question, or making a careless mistake. It's important to carefully review your work and identify where you went wrong.

2. How can I prevent getting this problem wrong in the future?

To prevent getting a problem wrong in the future, it's important to identify the specific mistake you made and work on improving in that area. You can also try practicing similar problems to strengthen your understanding of the concept.

3. Is it normal to get problems wrong?

Yes, it is completely normal to get problems wrong. Making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process. It's important to not get discouraged and instead use your mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve.

4. Should I ask for help if I can't understand why I got a problem wrong?

Yes, asking for help is always a good idea if you are struggling to understand why you got a problem wrong. You can ask your teacher or a classmate for clarification or seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or practice problems.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving your problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. You can start by carefully reading and understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, and using different strategies to solve it. It's also helpful to regularly review and reflect on your problem-solving process to identify areas for improvement.