Trying to write in LaTex and MathJax not picking up

giodude
I'm attempting to use latex to write a question in the physics forum. However, when I click preview to check if the formatting is correct it doesn't reformat to display in its latex form, rather it stays in plain text. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

I've posted the screenshots of before and after clicking preview below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 9.17.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 9.17.26 PM.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 9.17.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 9.17.38 PM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 58
Physics news on Phys.org
Reloaded the page and seems to have been fixed now.

Likes berkeman
It's a known bug that seems to be hard to fix.

The parser doesn't load on a page update (like when you reply to a thread), only on the initial load. So if there isn't already LaTeX on a page it doesn't render in a new post. Refresh the page to render.

Likewise, it doesn't work in reply preview unless there's already LaTeX. You can fix this by writing some LaTeX, going into preview, and then refreshing (it's a good idea to take a copy of your text first, just in case...).

LaTeX doesn't work at all in the new thread editor. My advice is to compose an opening post in the reply box of a thread with LaTeX, then paste it into the new thread start when you're happy.

Last edited:
Likes mfb, berkeman and giodude
The bug is actually worse than LaTeX not rendering. After writing some LaTeX, when you refresh the page, inline LaTeX will be rendered in the text editor itself. The moment you click Preview or Post Thread, the rendered LaTeX will be transformed into garbled text. You won't have the source code anymore.

A list of threads reporting the same issue is available here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...equation-rendering-issue.1046932/post-6816969

A workaround is mentioned here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...iew-on-this-forum-please.1050518/post-6862199

• Informative
Likes mfb and berkeman

Related to Trying to write in LaTex and MathJax not picking up

Why is MathJax not rendering my LaTeX code?

MathJax may not be rendering your LaTeX code due to several reasons, such as incorrect syntax, missing delimiters, or MathJax not being properly loaded on your webpage. Ensure you have the correct delimiters (e.g., \( \) for inline math, and \[ \] for display math) and check if the MathJax library is included and correctly configured in your HTML file.

How can I troubleshoot MathJax not working in my document?

To troubleshoot MathJax issues, first, verify that the MathJax script is correctly included in your HTML. Check the browser console for any errors related to MathJax. Ensure your LaTeX code is correct and uses the proper delimiters. Additionally, try using basic LaTeX commands to see if simpler expressions render correctly.

What are the common mistakes when writing LaTeX for MathJax?

Common mistakes include incorrect or missing delimiters, using unsupported LaTeX commands, and syntax errors. Make sure to use \( ... \) for inline math and \[ ... \] for display math. Also, ensure that all brackets, braces, and other LaTeX syntax elements are correctly paired and closed.

Can I use custom LaTeX commands with MathJax?

Yes, you can define custom LaTeX commands with MathJax by configuring it in the MathJax configuration script in your HTML. Use the `MathJax.Hub.Config` method to add custom macros. For example, you can add a custom command like this:

MathJax.Hub.Config({  TeX: {    Macros: {      RR: "\\mathbb{R}"    }  }});
This allows you to use `\RR` in your LaTeX code to represent the set of real numbers.

How do I ensure MathJax loads correctly on my webpage?

To ensure MathJax loads correctly, include the MathJax script in the `` or at the end of the `` of your HTML file. For example:

Make sure there are no typos in the script URL and that the script tag is correctly formatted. Additionally, check your internet connection if you are loading MathJax from a CDN.