Tug-of-war with competing decay of force equations

In summary, the problem involves two frats competing in a tug of war with 5 players on each team. Each player has a mass of 80kg and is capable of exerting a friction force of 100N on the ground. The force of one team decays according to F(t) = F0(e^(-t/2)) and the other, F(t) =F0(e^(-t/1)). The problem asks for the position of the (very lightweight) rope as a function of time. To solve this, one could draw free body diagrams for each team and take into account the decaying friction forces due to the ground becoming more slippery over time.
calebs17

Homework Statement

Two frats compete in a tug of war. Each team has 5 players of mass 80kg each. Each person is capable of pulling with 100N of force. The force of one team decays according to F(t) = F0(e^(-t/2)) and the other, F(t) =F0(e^(-t/1)). What is the position of the (very lightweight) rope as a function of time?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(m)(a) =F0(e^(-t/1)) - F0(e^(-t/2)) where F0 = 500 for both team. I am not sure if the mass is simply 5*80 or double that because of the two teams. Then I suppose you could integrate this and find x from the acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
calebs17 said:
I am not sure if the mass is simply 5*80 or double that because of the two teams.
If you're not sure if ma or 2ma, you could draw a free body diagram for each team, sum the forces for each team, and then solve the equations.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Edit: I just noticed that this post is in "Advanced Physics Homework". I'm not a mentor on this forum, but based on what I've seen, it seems like it would be better if it was posted in "Introductory Physics Homework". You may get much quicker responses there too.

calebs17 said:
The force of one team decays according to ...
I am not sure what is meant by this. The force of one team acting on what object? If, as the problem states, the mass of the rope is negligible, shouldn't the force exerted by team A on team B be equal and opposite to the force exerted by team B on team A at all times because the tension is the same at the two ends of the rope?

Tugs of war rely on friction to work. So, I suppose, the problem is telling us that the ground is getting more slippery as time increases but by differing amounts for each team. When you draw your FBDs as TomHart suggested, to draw them correctly, you need to take friction into account and assume that it is that friction that decays exponentially. It doesn't mater if you draw one FBD for the two teams together or separate FBDs. It should be clear what mass to use in each case.

kuruman said:
shouldn't the force exerted by team A on team B be equal and opposite
I agree with what you are saying. Rather than saying, "Each person is capable of pulling with 100N of force., I think the problem should have been worded: "Each person is capable of exerting a 100 N friction force on the floor as he pulls on the rope."

As a side note: 100 N = 22.5 lb. Those are some pretty wimpy frat boys. They start out weak and quickly go downhill from there.

Likes TSny
TomHart said:
Those are some pretty wimpy frat boys.
Don't be so quick to condemn them as wimps. Remember, it is the force of static friction that counts. The maximum force of static friction that the ground can exert on one of these boys is the 100 N. This means that the coefficient of static friction is μs = Fmax/mg = 100 N/800 N = 0.125. Pretty slippery. Probably, the boys are barefoot on linoleum and it is raining thus getting even more slippery.

Likes TomHart and TSny
kuruman said:
Probably, the boys are barefoot on linoleum and it is raining thus getting even more slippery.
I'm sorry, but with all due respect, I have to disagree. I think they are outside on a grass field wearing metal cleats. Wimps!

Related to Tug-of-war with competing decay of force equations

1. What is "Tug-of-war with competing decay of force equations"?

"Tug-of-war with competing decay of force equations" is a scientific concept that describes the competition between two or more forces that act on an object, causing it to accelerate or decelerate. This concept is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.

2. How does "Tug-of-war with competing decay of force equations" affect an object's motion?

The competing decay of force equations can either result in a balanced force, where the object's motion remains constant, or an unbalanced force, where the object's motion changes. The magnitude and direction of the forces determine the resulting motion of the object.

3. Can you give an example of "Tug-of-war with competing decay of force equations" in real life?

One example of this concept is a tug-of-war between two teams. Both teams exert a force on the rope, and the resulting motion of the rope and the teams is determined by the magnitude and direction of the forces.

4. How is "Tug-of-war with competing decay of force equations" used in scientific research?

Scientists use this concept to analyze the motion of objects in various scenarios, such as in sports, transportation, and space exploration. It helps them understand the forces at play and predict the resulting motion of the objects.

5. Can "Tug-of-war with competing decay of force equations" be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, this concept can be applied to other areas of science, such as biology and chemistry. In biology, it can be used to study the forces involved in muscle movement, while in chemistry, it can be used to analyze the forces between molecules during a chemical reaction.