Tumulka on Bohmian QED

A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Roderich Tumulka (a long-time Bohmian) demonstrates in his newest preprint,
that for the interpretation QED, the Bohmian interpretation has nothing to offer (apart from speculation called vision), and that the renormalization problem (which needs to be addressed in any serious interpretation of QED) is still completely unsolved on the interpretation level.

Physics news on Phys.org
A. Neumaier said:
for the interpretation QED, the Bohmian interpretation has nothing to offer
Is it his words or your words?

Demystifier said:
Is it his words or your words?
I cited the source of the paper so that you can find out for yourself.

I have read the paper even before you posted it, and I didn't see that Tumulka is in any sense negative about BM. I guess you see in it what you want to see.

Likes physika and Frimus
Demystifier said:
I have read the paper even before you posted it, and I didn't see that Tumulka is in any sense negative about BM.
Of course he isn't, since it is his main field of research.

But one needs to read between the lines. (Renormalized) QED and Bohmian mechanics both exist for now slightly more than 70 years. While QED was and still is a magnificent success, with a huge number of applications, Tumulka's paper documents the fact that the Bohmian version of it is still at the level of mere ideas and conjectures only, none of them really working, and without any change of this in sight.

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy
A. Neumaier said:
and that the renormalization problem (which needs to be addressed in any serious interpretation of QED) is still completely unsolved on the interpretation level
In my opinion, renormalization on the interpretation level is best understood with Wilson philosophy, according to which QED (and the whole Standard Model) is just a long-distance effective theory, emerging from some unknown more fundamental theory formulated with entirely different degrees of freedom. From this point of view trying to find a Bohmian formulation of QED is misguided. The Bohmian formulation should be applied to this more fundamental theory, which makes it a part of a larger, more ambitious and more difficult problem of finding a better theory beyond the Standard Model.

Likes physika
Demystifier said:
The Bohmian formulation should be applied to this more fundamental theory, which makes it a part of a larger, more ambitious and more difficult problem of finding a better theory beyond the Standard Model.
This makes it even more speculative than Tumulka's alrady vague vision....

A. Neumaier said:
This makes it even more speculative than Tumulka's alrady vague vision....
It is, but it gives me a peace of mind, because then in practice I can just use quantum theory on an instrumental level, without a need to think about the details of Bohmian mechanics, and yet having a vague but intuitive picture of what might go on at a more fundamental level. For me, quantum interpretations are just tools for intuitive thinking. This particular tool works for me pretty well. But I use other tools (other interpretations) as well, whenever it helps me to grasp some aspects of quantum theory intuitively.

Demystifier said:
In my opinion, renormalization on the interpretation level is best understood with Wilson philosophy, according to which QED (and the whole Standard Model) is just a long-distance effective theory, emerging from some unknown more fundamental theory formulated with entirely different degrees of freedom. From this point of view trying to find a Bohmian formulation of QED is misguided. The Bohmian formulation should be applied to this more fundamental theory, which makes it a part of a larger, more ambitious and more difficult problem of finding a better theory beyond the Standard Model.
Sorry, but which Wilson are you referring to? Not Kenneth, I presume.

apostolosdt said:
Sorry, but which Wilson are you referring to? Not Kenneth, I presume.
Kenneth Wilson, of course, did not not talk about Bohmian mechanics, but his approach to renormalization can be used in Bohmian mechanics as well. Sorry for using the p-word (philosophy), I know that this word irritates you.

Demystifier said:
Kenneth Wilson, of course, did not not talk about Bohmian mechanics, but his approach to renormalization can be used in Bohmian mechanics as well. Sorry for using the p-word (philosophy), I know that this word irritates you.
I appreciate your understanding of my... caprice with "philosophy" in a physics context. But still, my question genuinely holds: Which Wilson are you referring to? For I googled the name and a lot of philosophers under "Wilson" came up. Looks like the name is quite popular among philosophers. My wild guess is in connection with the term "principle of charity" (never heard before, though). Is it Neil Wilson? Just curious.

If I wrote "approach" instead of "philosophy", would it look more like Kenneth to you?

Demystifier said:
If I wrote "approach" instead of "philosophy", would it look more like Kenneth to you?
It looks like I've caused sort of sidetrack in your thoughts, for which I apologize.

In one of your previous posts here, the passage "...QED (and the whole Standard Model) is just a long-distance effective theory, emerging from some unknown more fundamental theory formulated with entirely different degrees of freedom..." you used does sound like Kenneth to anyone knowing sth about the subject, but that "interpretation" term fuzzed the text a bit.

I've nothing against philosophy per se; in fact, being Greek, I've been exposed to enough philosophy at school. But I cannot overstate my stance that physics is an experimental science that may help us know about the world, but not revealing the truth about the world. That's what Feynman so emphatically repeated. And yet, "interpretation" implies "knowing the truth;" that's irritating to me, yes it is.

Back