Tunable Fabry-Perot interferometer

In summary: It is impossible to change the phase of a sinewave without changing its frequency. It is impossible to change the frequency of a sinewave without changing its phase."
Niles
Hi all.

I am trying to understand how a tunable Fabry-Perot interferometer works. This is what I have understood so far:

An etalon is placed inside a pressure vessel, and the pressure inside this chamber is changed. Apparently, this changes the "effective optical path length" between the two mirrors of the etalon, and thus scans the light over a frequency interval. The change in pressure should alter the index of refraction, but I cannot see how this changes the frequency of the outputted light.What do you say about this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I just read this from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_path_length):

"Optical path length is important because it determines the phase of the light and governs interference and diffraction of light as it propagates.".

So by changing the pressure, one can change the phase of the light. Can this be used to alter the frequency?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's used to alter the frequency of light that is efficiently transmitted. In order for this device to work, there has to be a broadband source somewhere. Perhaps it can, like a distributed bragg reflector laser, work via feedback mechanisms as well.

I'm supposed to give a very short presentation on a topic, which includes this. Is it correct if I say that a change in the phase is used to alter the frequency?

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.

I've found the following from this page: http://www.smeter.net/daily-facts/3/fact18.php

"It is impossible to change the phase of a sinewave without changing its frequency. It is impossible to change the frequency of a sinewave without changing its phase."

That's fine for coherent generation and detection, when the absolute phase can be measured. That's not the case (yet) for optical frequencies, so in practical terms one does not control the absolute phase to adjust the frequency.

Andy Resnick said:
It's used to alter the frequency of light that is efficiently transmitted. In order for this device to work, there has to be a broadband source somewhere. Perhaps it can, like a distributed bragg reflector laser, work via feedback mechanisms as well.
The Fabry-Perot interferometer works on constructive interference of the light reflecting between mirrors. If the mirrors are in a pressurized gas, then the gas pressure can be used to change the light velocity, and this will change the number of wavelengths and the interference between reflections. The index of refraction of air is about 1.0003 at -15 centigrade, and 1.0024 at 60 centigrade, for example.

Bob S said:
The Fabry-Perot interferometer works on constructive interference of the light reflecting between mirrors. If the mirrors are in a pressurized gas, then the gas pressure can be used to change the light velocity, and this will change the number of wavelengths and the interference between reflections. The index of refraction of air is about 1.0003 at -15 centigrade, and 1.0024 at 60 centigrade, for example.

Minor quibble- the primary effect is to change the refractive index, this changes the path length (and propogation velocity).

hi ...

can anyone tell me which kind of interference between incident light waves and reflected light waves at first mirror and then between two mirrors means in cavity and then at last mirror .

Last edited:
can anyone tell in simple manner what type of interference is occurred between the incident waves and the reflected waves at the first mirror ,in cavity and at 2nd mirror of fabry perot filter...

with regards

onlyengg said:
can anyone tell in simple manner what type of interference is occurred between the incident waves and the reflected waves at the first mirror ,in cavity and at 2nd mirror of fabry perot filter...
The mirrors are partially silvered, and the interference occurs outside the mirrors. See
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...opt/fabry.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Tunable Fabry-Perot interferometer

1. What is a Tunable Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

A Tunable Fabry-Perot interferometer is a type of optical instrument that uses the interference of light waves to measure small changes in the length of a sample. It consists of two parallel mirrors with a small gap in between, which allows light to pass through and create an interference pattern. The gap can be adjusted to tune the instrument to specific wavelengths of light.

2. How does a Tunable Fabry-Perot Interferometer work?

The Tunable Fabry-Perot interferometer works by splitting a beam of light into two paths, passing through the gap between the mirrors. When the two paths of light recombine, they interfere with each other, creating a pattern of constructive and destructive interference. The pattern changes as the gap between the mirrors is adjusted, allowing for precise measurements of small changes in length.

3. What are the applications of a Tunable Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

Tunable Fabry-Perot interferometers are commonly used in various fields such as spectroscopy, telecommunications, and remote sensing. They are used to measure the thickness of thin films, detect small changes in refractive index, and analyze the spectral content of light. They are also used in fiber-optic communication systems to filter and amplify specific wavelengths of light.

4. How is a Tunable Fabry-Perot Interferometer different from a regular Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

In a regular Fabry-Perot interferometer, the gap between the mirrors is fixed and cannot be adjusted. This limits the range of wavelengths that can be measured. A Tunable Fabry-Perot interferometer, on the other hand, allows for the adjustment of the gap, making it possible to measure a wider range of wavelengths. This flexibility also makes it more versatile for different applications.

5. What are the advantages of using a Tunable Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

One of the main advantages of using a Tunable Fabry-Perot interferometer is its high precision and accuracy in measuring small changes in length or wavelength. It also has a wide range of applications and can be easily integrated into existing optical systems. Additionally, the tunability feature allows for more flexibility and control, making it a valuable tool for scientific research and industrial processes.