Turn Envelope Wave into one Sine Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an Envelope Wave, which is produced by the sum of two sine waves with close frequencies. The formula for turning it into one wave with a single frequency and amplitude is expressed as the multiplication of two other sinusoids. The keywords for finding this formula on Google are "sum and difference frequencies."
1plus1is10
Hello everyone,
The sum of two sine waves that have close frequencies can produce an Envelope Wave:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_(waves)

What formula can I use to turn it into one wave (i.e. one frequency and amplitude)?

Example pic attached:
The blue "Envelope Wave" is actually 2 sine waves combined.
And the green sine wave is what I really want.

Finally, I am curious to know the proper keywords that would have allowed me to find this formula on Google, or are there not any?

Thank-you very much.

Attachments

• waves.gif
    waves.gif
    8 KB · Views: 748
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1plus1is10 said:
Hello everyone,
The sum of two sine waves that have close frequencies can produce an Envelope Wave:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_(waves)

What formula can I use to turn it into one wave (i.e. one frequency and amplitude)?

Example pic attached:
The blue "Envelope Wave" is actually 2 sine waves combined.
And the green sine wave is what I really want.

Finally, I am curious to know the proper keywords that would have allowed me to find this formula on Google, or are there not any?

Thank-you very much.

There is a little better wikipedia page to understand this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(acoustics )

When you add two sinusoids like that, you can express the resultant waveform as the multiplication of two other sinusoids -- one at the sum frequency (the green one in your plot) and one at the difference frequency (the beat frequency).

So to answer your question, the green waveform is at the sum of the two original frequencies, and the peak amplitude is the peak of the overall waveform.

Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that does, and thanks for the link too.
I was thinking it was really that simple (that's what I did), but I wanted to be sure.

As for Google, the keywords for me would have been "sum and difference frequencies".

Thanks again.

Related to Turn Envelope Wave into one Sine Wave

1. How can I turn an envelope wave into one sine wave?

To turn an envelope wave into one sine wave, you can use a technique called "rectification". This involves squaring the wave and then taking the square root of the result. This will eliminate the negative values and leave you with a single sine wave.

2. Why would I want to turn an envelope wave into one sine wave?

Turning an envelope wave into one sine wave can help to simplify and clean up the waveform. It can also make it easier to analyze and manipulate the wave for various purposes, such as creating music or studying sound frequencies.

3. What tools or software do I need to turn an envelope wave into one sine wave?

There are various tools and software available for turning an envelope wave into one sine wave. Some popular options include audio editing software like Audacity or music production software like Ableton Live. You can also use coding languages like Python or MATLAB to write scripts for this purpose.

4. Can I turn any envelope wave into one sine wave?

Yes, any audio or sound wave that has an envelope shape can be turned into a single sine wave using the rectification technique. However, the resulting sine wave may not have the same characteristics or qualities as the original envelope wave.

5. Are there any limitations to turning an envelope wave into one sine wave?

One limitation of turning an envelope wave into one sine wave is that it may not accurately represent the original sound or audio. This is because the process of rectification can alter the phase, frequency, and amplitude of the waveform. Additionally, the resulting sine wave may not have the same dynamic range or complexity as the original envelope wave.