Turn in assignment, then realize mistake ugh

In summary, this person made a mistake on their quiz that resulted in them getting a bad grade. They say that it is by far the worst mistake they have ever made on an assignment and that it could have been worse. They advise others to never make the same mistake.
QuarkCharmer
I have 100 on every assignment/test in my DE course. Today, I took one quiz out of many (of which 2 are dropped) on using Laplace transforms to solve equations. I have done dozens of these problems, with great success.

Today, the quiz was 2 problems, both of which relied heavily on the fact that the Laplace transform of y is Y (clearly). For some reason, I saw the y and thought it was the dependent variable and put town the laplace transform for t...

I turned my quiz in, she looked at it, and then gave me this look like "really?", and then it hit me the second I walked out the door. How embarrassing.

I mean, partial credit is given provided you sort of know what's up, and just make algebra errors or something, but this, well, if I looked over someones quiz with this mistake I would think they don't know what's going on with the transform, the major theory of this chapter.

This is by far the worst mistake I have ever made on an assignment, and I absolutely KNOW the correct way to do it, I have no idea what I was thinking and I'm worried the professor will think I didn't understand the concepts or do the homework! Sorry for the rant, it's frustrating!

This happened to any of you?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a knack for overly complicating (or simplifying) some situations... especially circuit diagrams where there is some absolute modifier (like one loop with a resistance and one loop with zero, which is actually going to get the current?!). When several questions are asked I tend to 'discount' parts of the diagram that are not directly relevent, not wanting to give an easy answer of '0'.

harsh, but the only important thing is that you know you understand the material right? :D

QuarkCharmer said:
I have 100 on every assignment/test in my DE course. Today, I took one quiz out of many (of which 2 are dropped) on using Laplace transforms to solve equations. I have done dozens of these problems, with great success.

Today, the quiz was 2 problems, both of which relied heavily on the fact that the Laplace transform of y is Y (clearly). For some reason, I saw the y and thought it was the dependent variable and put town the laplace transform for t...

I turned my quiz in, she looked at it, and then gave me this look like "really?", and then it hit me the second I walked out the door. How embarrassing.

I mean, partial credit is given provided you sort of know what's up, and just make algebra errors or something, but this, well, if I looked over someones quiz with this mistake I would think they don't know what's going on with the transform, the major theory of this chapter.

This is by far the worst mistake I have ever made on an assignment, and I absolutely KNOW the correct way to do it, I have no idea what I was thinking and I'm worried the professor will think I didn't understand the concepts or do the homework! Sorry for the rant, it's frustrating!

This happened to any of you?

Hey QuarkCharmer.

Yes it has for both good and bad reasons: good because I didn't do enough repetitive exercises to drill down the computational aspects for some classes and bad when for whatever reason I just either couldn't recall or because like you I for whatever reason left my brain at the front door when I should have brought it in with my body at the time of the exam.

It could be worse.

Yes it's happened to me, too.

The good thing is, you will never *ever* make that mistake again.

lisab said:
The good thing is, you will never *ever* make that mistake again.

Yup, there are some things you have to do once, just so you learn never to do them again.

Like forgetting that rotating machinery viewed with a strobe light is still actually rotating...

Or not reading your exam timetable carefully enough...

Related to Turn in assignment, then realize mistake ugh

1. How common is it for people to turn in assignments and then realize they made a mistake?

It is quite common for people to turn in assignments and then realize they made a mistake. This can happen due to various reasons such as rushing to meet a deadline or overlooking details during the proofreading process.

2. What should I do if I realize I made a mistake on an assignment I already turned in?

If you realize you made a mistake on an assignment you already turned in, the first thing you should do is talk to your instructor. Explain the mistake and ask if you can resubmit the assignment with the corrections. It is always best to be honest and transparent about mistakes.

3. Will I lose points for turning in an assignment with a mistake?

It depends on the instructor and the severity of the mistake. Some instructors may deduct points for mistakes, while others may allow for corrections to be made without penalty. It's important to communicate with your instructor and take responsibility for the mistake.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes on assignments in the future?

To avoid making mistakes on assignments in the future, it's important to give yourself enough time to complete the assignment, carefully read and follow the instructions, and proofread your work multiple times. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work before submitting it.

5. Is it okay to make mistakes on assignments?

It is okay to make mistakes on assignments, as long as you take responsibility for them and learn from them. Making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and can help you improve your skills in the long run. Just make sure to communicate with your instructor and make an effort to correct the mistake if possible.