Turnable Angular Frequency, Torque,Inertia

In summary: I missed the word "solid" and instead deduced that it was hollow from the incorrect expression in the OP: Moment of Inertia of cylinder is MR^2
upandup

Homework Statement

Turntable at an angular speed of Wj. Consider it to be a thin solid cylinder of mass M and Radius R. A mass m nought falls and sticks to turntable at a distance r nought from center.

a) Find new Inertia, I
b) Find new Angular Frequency, W
c) Coefficient of static friction, µ s. What is the largest r so that mass does not slide off. Assume disk is spinning at W.

Homework Equations

Newtons second law of motion for each of the respective bobs mass M, Moment of Inertia, angular frequency 1/2mw^2
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the cylindrical turntable and made the equation. Because the equation for the moment of Inertia of cylinder is MR^2, the new Inertia with the additional bob of m, I got the new equation MR^2+mr^2. Could you help me find the angular frequency of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of angular momentum.

upandup said:

Homework Statement

Turntable at an angular speed of Wj. Consider it to be a thin solid cylinder of mass M and Radius R. A mass m nought falls and sticks to turntable at a distance r nought from center.
A you sure this is supposed to be a cylinder? Turntables usually look more like discs, and the fact that the blob is a different distance from the centre than the radius of the 'cylinder' reinforces that.

haruspex said:
upandup said:
...Consider it to be a thin solid cylinder of mass M and Radius R...
A[re] you sure this is supposed to be a cylinder? Turntables usually look more like discs...
How does that make a difference to the calculation? Moment's of inertia are the same... angular velocities are the same...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

A "disk" is a "thin solid cylinder"... isn't it?

Simon Bridge said:
How does that make a difference to the calculation? Moment's of inertia are the same... angular velocities are the same...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

A "disk" is a "thin solid cylinder"... isn't it?

I missed the word "solid" and instead deduced that it was hollow from the incorrect expression in the OP:
moment of Inertia of cylinder is MR^2

Oh fair enough.
@upandup: how did you get on?

FAQ: Turnable Angular Frequency, Torque,Inertia

1. What is turnable angular frequency?

Turnable angular frequency, also known as rotational frequency, is a measure of how many revolutions an object makes per unit of time. It is typically measured in radians per second or rotations per minute.

2. How is torque related to turnable angular frequency?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly proportional to the turnable angular frequency, meaning that the higher the frequency, the greater the torque required to achieve that frequency.

3. What is inertia in relation to turnable angular frequency?

Inertia is an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. It is directly related to the turnable angular frequency, as objects with higher frequencies will have higher inertia and require more torque to maintain their rotational motion.

4. How can turnable angular frequency be calculated?

The formula for calculating turnable angular frequency is ω = 2πf, where ω is the angular frequency in radians per second and f is the frequency in hertz. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the number of rotations by the time it takes to complete those rotations.

5. Why is turnable angular frequency important in physics?

Turnable angular frequency plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as rotational motion, oscillations, and waves. It helps us understand the relationship between torque, inertia, and rotational motion, and is essential in many engineering and scientific applications.

Back