Turning Effects of Forces ( principle of moments )

In summary, a ruler with a mass of 90g and its centre of mass at the 50cm mark is suspended by a thread at the 70cm mark and balanced by a weight of unknown mass hanging from the 80cm mark. The moment of weight of the ruler about the 70cm mark is calculated to be 9 Nm, with the weight of the ruler being 0.45 N. Based on the principles of moment, the clockwise and anticlockwise moments are equal, leading to the weight of the unknown mass being 1.8N. This is twice the weight of the ruler, resulting in a larger force being needed to produce the same moment when closer to the fulcrum point.
tgpnlyt7095

Homework Statement

a uniform rule has a mass of 90g and its centre of mass is at the 50cm mark. the ruler is suspended by a thread at the 70cm mark, balanced by a mass of weight W hanging from the 80cm mark. Calculate the moment of the weight of the ruler about the 70cm mark. What is the moment of weight W about the 70m mark ??

Homework Equations

Principles of moment = Sum of Clockwise motion = sum of anti clockwise motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculation of moment of weight of ruler above the 70cm mark.
sum of anticlockwise moment = sum of clockwise moment
Weight of rule x 20 = (0.090)(10) x 10
=> weight of rule = 0.45 N
=> moment of weight of ruler about 70 cm mark = 9 Nm

I know that this is the actual solution to the question but can somebody explain why the distance of the anti clockwise moment is 20cm and the distance of the clockwise moment is 10cm ?

As far as possible, can somebody give me reasons to derive at this solution ? As for the moment of the weight W about the 70cm mark, can somebody help ?? I don't really understand this well ..

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Based on this, I am required to find the moment of the weight W about the 70cm mark. can i know what does this mean ??

this just means that now we take the 70cm mark as the pivot point/fulcrum, and the ruler will rotate about that point.

just take the perpendicular distances from the forces applied at the 50cm mark and the 80cm mark to the fulcrum point at 70cm.

arkofnoah said:
this just means that now we take the 70cm mark as the pivot point/fulcrum, and the ruler will rotate about that point.

just take the perpendicular distances from the forces applied at the 50cm mark and the 80cm mark to the fulcrum point at 70cm.

So the answer is, also 9Nm?

actually that's wrong. a correction to what i said earlier: the ruler will not rotate because the net moment is zero.

and since the net moment is zero:

anticlockwise moment (due to weight of ruler) = clockwise moment (due to weight W)
0.09(9.81) x 20 = moment of weight W

moment of weight W = 17.7Nm

nope. it's 1.80N, twice of that of the weight of the ruler (taking g = 10m/s). The closer you get to the fulcrum, the more force you need to exert to produce the same moment (think of how it's harder to open the door near the hinge than using the knob).

arkofnoah said:
nope. it's 1.80N, twice of that of the weight of the ruler (taking g = 10m/s). The closer you get to the fulcrum, the more force you need to exert to produce the same moment (think of how it's harder to open the door near the hinge than using the knob).

O.O why must it be twice of the weight of the ruler ?? Although i understand you, that the force exerted must be larger

It's twice by virtue of this equation:

[tex](0.09)(10) \times (20) = W \times (10)[/tex]

Solve for W and you will get 1.8N. It doesn't always have to be 1.8N, just for this particular problem.

arkofnoah said:
It's twice by virtue of this equation:

[tex](0.09)(10) \times (20) = W \times (10)[/tex]

Solve for W and you will get 1.8N. It doesn't always have to be 1.8N, just for this particular problem.

Thanks , i have learned to solve another type of question ! May god bless you =x

FAQ: Turning Effects of Forces ( principle of moments )

1. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between forces acting on a body and its state of equilibrium. It states that for a body to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments.

2. How is the principle of moments applied in everyday life?

The principle of moments is applied in everyday life in various ways, such as in the construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also used in simple tasks like using a seesaw or a pair of scissors. In all these cases, the principle of moments helps to ensure that the object is balanced and stable.

3. What is the equation for calculating the turning effect of a force?

The equation for calculating the turning effect of a force, or the moment, is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the applied force, and d is the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

4. How does the distance from the pivot point affect the turning effect of a force?

The distance from the pivot point, also known as the lever arm, is directly proportional to the turning effect of a force. This means that the greater the distance, the greater the turning effect, and vice versa. This is because a longer lever arm allows for a greater torque to be produced.

5. Can the principle of moments be applied to non-rigid bodies?

Yes, the principle of moments can be applied to non-rigid bodies, such as in the case of a balance scale. In this situation, the sum of the moments on each side of the scale must still be equal for the scale to be balanced. The concept can also be applied to fluids, as seen in the principle of moments in hydrostatics.

Back