Turning Energy into Matter: Exploring CERN & More

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of energy as an abstract property that can turn into matter, as seen in the process of particle creation at CERN. The standard model is mentioned as an explanation for how particles with a given amount of energy can turn into other particles with the same amount of energy.
BlueQuark
Okay, this quite confuses me. "Energy" isn't anything physical. You can't point at energy. It's more of a property, like length. The definition of kinetic energy is ## ke = .5mv^2##.

Now, how can something like an abstract property turn into matter? An example being CERN, when new particles are created from energy when particles with high energy smash into each other.

Please let me know if I got something wrong, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BlueQuark said:
Now, how can something like an abstract property turn into matter?
That isn't quite accurate. A better way to say it is that particles with a given amount of this abstract property can turn into other particles with the same amount of this abstract property.

Dale said:
That isn't quite accurate. A better way to say it is that particles with a given amount of this abstract property can turn into other particles with the same amount of this abstract property.
Okay, that does make a bit more sense. Do we know how exactly they turn into different particles though?

Likes hsdrop
BlueQuark said:
Okay, that does make a bit more sense. Do we know how exactly they turn into different particles though?
That is a large part of what the standard model explains. I don't know it well enough to explain it, but I would recommend asking that question in the QM forum. Be warned, there probably is not a B level answer.

FAQ: Turning Energy into Matter: Exploring CERN & More

What is CERN?

CERN, or the European Organization for Nuclear Research, is a large scientific research organization located in Switzerland. It is best known for its particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), and its groundbreaking discoveries in particle physics.

How does CERN convert energy into matter?

CERN uses particle accelerators, such as the LHC, to accelerate particles to extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. When these particles collide, their energy is converted into new particles, including matter. This process is known as particle physics and allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of our universe.

What are some of the major discoveries made at CERN?

CERN has made numerous important discoveries in particle physics, including the observation of the Higgs boson particle in 2012, which helped to confirm the Standard Model of particle physics. CERN's research has also contributed to our understanding of dark matter, antimatter, and the origins of the universe.

What other research is conducted at CERN?

In addition to particle physics, CERN also conducts research in other fields such as nuclear physics, materials science, and medical applications. For example, CERN's accelerators can be used to produce radioisotopes for medical imaging and cancer treatment.

How can someone visit CERN and learn more about their research?

CERN offers guided tours for visitors, which include a visit to the LHC tunnel and a chance to interact with scientists and engineers. There are also educational programs and online resources available for those interested in learning more about CERN's research and the field of particle physics.