Tutorial: Circuit Analysis with Maple

In summary: So now I just have to remember to use % instead of $.In summary, the author has attached a Maple workheet that shows how to do calculations for first- and second order linear circuits. He is just starting out with Maple himself, so if there is a less retarded way to do this then please do speak up. Additionally, he has a question about how to plot a function in Maple without actually typing the function as an argument in the plot command. If you recall the last object using the % symbol, then you are all set.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since Greg recently started allowing Maple worksheets as attachments and since this lonely little forum gets hardly any traffic, I'm going to start using it as an incubator for the development of tutorials for use at PF.

I've attached a Maple worksheet (done in Maple 9.5) that shows how to do calculations for first- and second order linear circuits. I'm just learning Maple myself, so if there is a less retarded way to do this then please do speak up.

Attachments

• ENGR 225 DE Tutorial.mw
    5.9 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
OK quiet down, I can barely hear myself think. :biggrin:

I've got a question that maybe one of you can answer. If not then I'll post in the Math section. How do you plot a function in Maple without actually typing the function as an argument in the plot command? Say I use the dsolve command to get an analytical solution for a differential equation. Can I use the plot command to graph it simply by referring to the function by name, rather than typing it out?

This is a magma (and other language) idea, but usually the program stores the previous output (or some number of the last few returned values) and doing something like plot $1 will make it plot the last returned value. A command like dsolve will return a value to somewhere, it's just accessing it. Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm just extrapolating from other languages (in python it would be _, I think).

I did a quick search and " is the last value stored, "" the last but one (and I presume this holds for some small number of " symbols.

So if you do

dsolve(something);
plot(");
it should plot whatver dsolve returned.

The Maple worksheet I attached to the OP was old. I thought it was a newer one. An updated version is attached, as is a worksheet for Laplace transform analysis and frequency response. Anyone have any thoughts?

I was going to start a new thread for each Maple Tutorial, but instead I'm going to lump them together by subject. So I changed the title of this thread to reflect that. Anyone can feel free to join in.

matt grime said:
I did a quick search and " is the last value stored, "" the last but one (and I presume this holds for some small number of " symbols.

Thanks Matt. I independently found out that % works for recalling the last object.

Attachments

• IVP Tutorial.mw
    20.7 KB · Views: 515
  • IVP Tutorial with Laplace.mw
    18.8 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

Related to Tutorial: Circuit Analysis with Maple

1. What is "Tutorial: Circuit Analysis with Maple"?

"Tutorial: Circuit Analysis with Maple" is a comprehensive guide that teaches users how to use Maple software for circuit analysis. It covers topics such as creating circuit diagrams, performing calculations, and analyzing results.

2. Why is Maple software useful for circuit analysis?

Maple software is useful for circuit analysis because it allows for quick and accurate calculations, as well as the ability to easily visualize and manipulate circuit diagrams. It also offers advanced features such as symbolic calculations and interactive simulations.

3. Is prior knowledge of circuit analysis required to use this tutorial?

No, prior knowledge of circuit analysis is not required to use this tutorial. It is designed to be beginner-friendly and covers all the necessary concepts and techniques in a step-by-step manner.

4. What are the benefits of using Maple software for circuit analysis?

Some benefits of using Maple software for circuit analysis include its user-friendly interface, powerful computational capabilities, and ability to handle complex circuit analysis problems. It also allows for easy integration with other mathematical and engineering tools.

5. Are there any resources available for additional support while using this tutorial?

Yes, there are several resources available for additional support while using this tutorial. These include the Maple community forums, user guides, and online tutorials. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer courses or workshops on using Maple for circuit analysis.