Two athletes time compensation

In summary: In the first case, r1=(ct1,0,0,0) and Δs^2=-ct2*dx^2+d*dy^2+dx*dy+d*z^2. In the second case, r2=(ct2,d,0,0) and Δs^2=-ct1*dx^2+dy*dx+dy*z^2.
Andremag12

Homework Statement

In a reference system S two athletes are aligned at a distance d relative to each other on the Y axis to make a run parallel to the x axis. Two starters, one next to each athlete, shoot their guns out at slightly different times, offsetting the advantage of better athlete. The time difference in S is delta T. For which time difference there will be a reference system S 'in which there is not compensation, and which time difference there is a reference system S' in which there is a real compensation ?.
Determine explicitly the Lorentz transformation that leads to S' suitable for each of the possibilities listed above, calculating the speed of S' to S and the space-time positions (events) of each athlete in the S system.

Homework Equations

Lorentz tranformation Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I don´t really understand the exercise, but firs I think you must asume that the coordenates of one of the athletes are at the origin, and the other has the displacement d.
r1=(ct1,0,0,0)
r2=(ct2, d,0,0)

When you have two events ussually you use the space time interval

(delta S)^2 =(ct2-ct1)^2-(x2-x1)^2-(y2-y1)^2-(z2-z1)^2

But i don't understant what it means no compensation real compensation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question either. I think it's asking for a frame where the starting guns fire simultaneously, but the rest is confusing.

PeroK said:
I don't understand the question either. I think it's asking for a frame where the starting guns fire simultaneously, but the rest is confusing.
Maybe there are some problem with translation, the problem is in spanish, but I agree, if there is no compensation from S' the two starting guns fire simultaneously, so delta t must be zero. So

Δs^2 < 0
But how I show this?

Andremag12 said:
Maybe there are some problem with translation, the problem is in spanish, but I agree, if there is no compensation from S' the two starting guns fire simultaneously, so delta t must be zero. So

Δs^2 < 0
But how I show this?
I'm going offline now but perhaps someone else can help.

You need to think of your starting coordinates and what direction S' needs to move.

Related to Two athletes time compensation

What is "Two athletes time compensation"?

"Two athletes time compensation" refers to the practice of adjusting the results of a competition or race based on the time advantage or disadvantage of an athlete due to external factors such as weather, altitude, or equipment. This allows for fairer comparisons between athletes and eliminates potential advantages or disadvantages caused by these external factors.

How is "Two athletes time compensation" calculated?

The exact method of calculating "Two athletes time compensation" may vary depending on the sport or event. However, it typically involves analyzing the average performance of athletes in similar conditions and using that as a baseline to determine the amount of time that should be added or subtracted from an individual's performance.

Why is "Two athletes time compensation" important in sports?

"Two athletes time compensation" is important in sports because it ensures that all athletes have an equal opportunity to compete and be evaluated based on their skills and abilities, rather than external factors that may give them an unfair advantage or disadvantage. It also allows for more accurate comparisons between athletes and can help determine the true winner of a competition.

What are some common factors that may require "Two athletes time compensation"?

Some common factors that may require "Two athletes time compensation" include weather conditions such as wind, rain, or extreme temperatures, altitude differences, and equipment discrepancies. These factors can significantly impact an athlete's performance and may need to be taken into account in order to accurately compare their results with others.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using "Two athletes time compensation"?

While "Two athletes time compensation" can help create a fairer and more accurate evaluation of an athlete's performance, it may also be subject to human error or bias in the calculation process. In addition, some argue that it takes away from the raw and pure nature of sports and can complicate the interpretation of results. Ultimately, the use of "Two athletes time compensation" depends on the specific sport and the goals of the competition.