Two basic exercises on order statistics

psie
Homework Statement
Let ##X_{(k)}## denote the ##k##th order variable of a sample of size ##n##, where ##X_1,\ldots,X_n## is the sample from a distribution with distribution function ##F##. Suppose that ##F## is continuous.

(a) Compute ##P(X_k=X_{(k)},k=1,2,\ldots,n)##, that is, the probability that the original, unordered sample is in fact (already) ordered.
(b) Compute ##P(X_{k;n}=X_{k;n+1})##, that is, the probability that the ##k##th smallest observation still is the ##k##th smallest observation. (Here ##X_{k;n}## is still the ##k##th order variable, and the ##n## simply denotes the sample size.)
Relevant Equations
The number of permutations of ##n## distinct objects is ##n!##.
Note, it's not assumed anywhere that ##X_1,\ldots,X_n## are independent.

My solution to (a) is simply ##1/n!##, since we've got ##n!## possible orderings, and one of the orderings is the ordered one, so ##1/n!##. However, I am not sure this is correct, since I don't understand why the assumption ##F## continuous is necessary. Grateful for an explanation.

For (b), my answer I think is not complete. I reasoned as follows; if we're given a sample of size ##n##, the probability to find ##X_k## as ##X_{k;n}## is ##1/n##, since there are again ##n!## orderings and in ##(n-1)!## of these we'll find ##X_k## as ##X_{k;n}##, so ##(n-1)!/n!=1/n##. This is all I got for (b). I think there's something missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
psie said:
However, I am not sure this is correct, since I don't understand why the assumption ##F## continuous is necessary.
If it was a discrete probability, you would have to worry about ties.
psie said:
For (b), my answer I think is not complete. I reasoned as follows; if we're given a sample of size ##n##, the probability to find ##X_k## as ##X_{k;n}## is ##1/n##, since there are again ##n!## orderings and in ##(n-1)!## of these we'll find ##X_k## as ##X_{k;n}##, so ##(n-1)!/n!=1/n##. This is all I got for (b). I think there's something missing.
That seems logical to me.

Likes psie
FactChecker said:
That seems logical to me.
Thanks! Part (b) seems kind of strange to me. Seems like a conditional probability, i.e. given that the sample of size ##n## is ordered, what is the probability that it still will be ordered when making one further observation? This is ##1/n##.

EDIT: The probability that it will still be ordered is ##1/(n+1)##. The statements I made concerning part (b) in post #1 are correct I think, but here I am making a different statement.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
I think there is another way of interpreting the question and I think this is the correct way. I don't know how else to put it other than the way the problem originally put it. What is the probability that the ##k##th smallest observation is the ##k##th smallest observation? This is the probability ##P(X_{n+1}>X_{k;n})##. Consider $$\underbrace{\phantom{\quad}}_{\text{1st slot}}X_{1;n}\underbrace{\phantom{\quad}}_{\text{2nd slot}}X_{2;n}\quad\ldots\quad X_{n;n}\underbrace{ \ }_{(n+1)\text{st slot}}.$$Now, there are ##(n-k+1)## slots above ##X_{k;n}##, so the probability that the ##k##th smallest observation remains the ##k##th smallest one is ##\frac{n-k+1}{n+1}##.

Likes FactChecker