Two blocks and a mass- and frictionless pulley

In summary, The problem involved two blocks connected by a rope with no friction or air resistance. The first two questions were solved by treating the blocks as one unit, while for part C, the tension in the rope was taken into account. The correct calculations for the total force on the large block and the work done involved finding the acceleration and integrating over the distance. The mistake was made in the integration by adding an extra x term. The correct answer for the total work is 2.58 Joules.
scomber
The problem and solutions: http://i.imgur.com/hxlfbmZ.png

I was able to solve the first two questions, but I guessed part C.

For the first one, I thought of the two blocks as one unit (since there's no friction or air resistance). If they're both falling with the same acceleration, there shouldn't really be any tension in the rope. So the total work should be:

[itex]W_{tot}=\int^{0.75}_{0}(32x)dx[/itex] J

That's for the whole system. For parts A and B I did the above, but for one block a time.

Part C on the other hand... I can't seem to wrap my head around it. In my opinion, since we have friction, the only force felt by the 20 N block should be the 12 N in the direction of movement, and the friction [itex]f_{k}=20*µ_{k}=6.5[/itex] N in the direction opposite motion. I then want the total work in this case to be:

[itex]W_{tot}=\int^{0.75}_{0}(5.5x)dx[/itex] J

This is, apparently, not correct. What am I doing wrong?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
scomber said:
For the first one, I thought of the two blocks as one unit (since there's no friction or air resistance). If they're both falling with the same acceleration, there shouldn't really be any tension in the rope.
No, there will be tension. With no tension the 20N block would not move, and the 12N block would be in free fall. Fortunately your reasoning did not depend on that.
Part C on the other hand... I can't seem to wrap my head around it. In my opinion, since we have friction, the only force felt by the 20 N block should be the 12 N in the direction of movement,
It will 'feel' the tension, which is less than 12N. (If it were 12N the 12N block would not descend.)
Btw, you were given a static friction too. Your first step should be to check that the static friction is insufficient to keep things in place.

Well, the static friction is [itex]f_{s}=0.5*20[/itex] N, which is just 10 N. The small block pulls on the large one with a force of 12 N (am I right in assuming that?), so everything should be set in motion.

After that, the kinetic friction is all that works against the 12 N from the small block. Shouldn't the total force on the large block then be the 12 N minus the kinetic friction?

And regarding parts A and B:

haruspex, you said that:
"No, there will be tension. With no tension the 20N block would not move, and the 12N block would be in free fall."

Is that not what is happening, though? The 12 N block is falling freely, just that it has a 20 N block attached to it, so together they are falling freely (no friction, or any type of resistance). Work is then done on the two blocks as a whole, or on the separate blocks if one chooses to look at it that way?

scomber said:
After that, the kinetic friction is all that works against the 12 N from the small block. Shouldn't the total force on the large block then be the 12 N minus the kinetic friction?
No. Some of the 12N is being 'used' accelerating the 12N block. Just write out the free body equations for the two blocks and deduce the tension.
haruspex, you said that:
"No, there will be tension. With no tension the 20N block would not move, and the 12N block would be in free fall."

Is that not what is happening, though? The 12 N block is falling freely, just that it has a 20 N block attached to it, so together they are falling freely (no friction, or any type of resistance). Work is then done on the two blocks as a whole, or on the separate blocks if one chooses to look at it that way?
No. If the 12N block were in free fall its acceleration would be g. But even without friction, the 12N force is having to accelerate (12+20)N/g kg, so the acceleration is only 12g/(12+20).

So the total force on the small block is [itex]F_{2}=\frac{12}{9.82}*a[/itex], which is the same as [itex](12 - T)[/itex] N.

This means that the tension in the rope is [itex]T = 12 - \frac{12}{9.82}*a[/itex]

This force T is the force that sets the large block in motion (?). The total force on the large block is then [itex]F_{1} = T - 20*µ_{k} = T - 6.5 = 12 - \frac{12}{9.82}*a - 6.5 N[/itex]

And if [itex]F_{1}=\frac{20}{9.82}*a[/itex], then [itex]a*\frac{20}{9.82}=5.5 - \frac{12}{9.82}*a[/itex]

[itex]a(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82}) = 5.5[/itex]

[itex]a = \frac{5.5}{(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82})}[/itex]

Total force on the large block is then [itex]\frac{20}{9.82}(\frac{5.5}{(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82})})[/itex] and the total work is [itex]W_{total}=\int_{0}^{0.75}((\frac{20}{9.82}(\frac{5.5}{(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82})}))x)[/itex] dx ?

Last edited:
scomber said:
So the total force on the small block is [itex]F_{2}=\frac{12}{9.82}*a[/itex], which is the same as [itex](12 - T)[/itex] N.

This means that the tension in the rope is [itex]T = 12 - \frac{12}{9.82}*a[/itex]

This force T is the force that sets the large block in motion (?). The total force on the large block is then [itex]F_{1} = T - 20*µ_{k} = T - 6.5 = 12 - \frac{12}{9.82}*a - 6.5 N[/itex]

And if [itex]F_{1}=\frac{20}{9.82}*a[/itex], then [itex]a*\frac{20}{9.82}=5.5 - \frac{12}{9.82}*a[/itex]

[itex]a(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82}) = 5.5[/itex]

[itex]a = \frac{5.5}{(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82})}[/itex]

Total force on the large block is then [itex]\frac{20}{9.82}(\frac{5.5}{(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82})})[/itex] and the total work is [itex]W_{total}=\int_{0}^{0.75}((\frac{20}{9.82}(\frac{5.5}{(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82})}))x)[/itex] dx ?
Yes. That gives the correct answer, right?

When I calculate what I got there, I get the answer 0.96680 Joule, which is NOT correct. That's what I do not understand! The correct answer is 2.58 Joule. It makes no sense.

scomber said:
Sorry, I didn't notice this the first time:
##W_{total}=\int_{0}^{0.75}((\frac{20}{9.82}(\frac{5.5}{(\frac{20}{9.82} + \frac{12}{9.82})}))## x ##)dx##
Where did that x come from?

Ah! I mixed it up again, I didn't think of dx as a distance, so I added an extra x to get some kind of work to sum up. It all makes sense now, thank you.

Related to Two blocks and a mass- and frictionless pulley

1. What is a "Two blocks and a mass- and frictionless pulley" system?

A "Two blocks and a mass- and frictionless pulley" system is a simple mechanical setup that consists of two blocks connected by a rope or string that runs over a pulley. The pulley is assumed to have no mass and no friction, allowing for easier analysis of the system's motion.

2. How does the mass of the blocks affect the system?

The mass of the blocks affects the acceleration of the system. According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, increasing the mass of the blocks will result in a decrease in acceleration.

3. How does the presence or absence of friction affect the system?

The presence of friction can significantly impact the motion of the system. In a frictionless system, the tension in the rope remains constant, and the blocks move with a constant acceleration. However, in a system with friction, the tension in the rope may vary, and the blocks may experience a different acceleration due to the frictional force acting on them.

4. What is the role of the pulley in this system?

The pulley serves as a point of contact for the rope or string, allowing it to change the direction of the tension force. This change in direction is crucial in maintaining the system's equilibrium and ensuring that the blocks move in the desired direction.

5. How can the motion of the system be calculated?

The motion of the system can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. By considering all the forces acting on the blocks and applying the appropriate equations, the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of the blocks can be determined.