Two blocks and a pulley homework

In summary, the system is released from rest and the 7 kg block falls a distance of 10.5056m before it reaches the lowest point. The block has a mass of 7 kg and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s/s.
duketogo

Homework Statement

The two blocks are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley with a negligible mass. The 3 kg block lies
on a rough horizontal surface with a constant coefficient of kinetic friction 0.1. This block
is connected to a spring with spring constant 5 N/m. The second block has a mass of 7 kg.
The system is released from rest when the
spring is unstretched, and the 7 kg block falls
a distance h before it reaches the lowest point. acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s/s
Calculate the falling distance h where the
7 kg blocks stops. Answer in units of m.
Note: When the 7 kg block is at the lowest point velocity is zero

and then
calculate the moment when the 7kg block has descended by a distance of 10.5056m, where 10.5056 is less than h. at this moment calc the sum of kinetic energy for the two blocks in joules.

Homework Equations

E=mgh= M m work
(1/2mv^+1/2kx) + (1/2mv^2+ mg(h-x) + (f sub k * x)
this equaition was given by a friend but I can't seem to make it work
h=2(m-uM)g/k
any help on setting up the problem would be appreciated

for the second part here's what I got thus far total k.e.= 1/2mv^2 +1/2Mv^2= mgx - 1/2kx^2-uMgx
but I'm not sure about it.

there's a picture of the diagram here

ac8pyf.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
duketogo said:

Homework Equations

E=mgh= M m work
(1/2mv^+1/2kx) + (1/2mv^2+ mg(h-x) + (f sub k * x)
this equaition was given by a friend but I can't seem to make it work
h=2(m-uM)g/k
any help on setting up the problem would be appreciated
The basic idea is energy conservation:
Mechanical Energy(initial) + Work done by friction = Mechanical Energy(final)

Mechanical energy is the sum of spring PE (½kx²), gravitational PE, and KE.
Work done by friction (which is negative) = -μNx

Doc Al said:
The basic idea is energy conservation:
Mechanical Energy(initial) + Work done by friction = Mechanical Energy(final)

Mechanical energy is the sum of spring PE (½kx²), gravitational PE, and KE.
Work done by friction (which is negative) = -μNx

okay I'll try it out

Related to Two blocks and a pulley homework

1. What is the purpose of the "Two blocks and a pulley" homework?

The purpose of this homework is to apply principles of mechanics and Newton's laws of motion to solve problems involving pulleys and blocks. This helps students understand the concepts better and develop problem-solving skills.

2. How do I approach solving a "Two blocks and a pulley" problem?

First, draw a diagram to visualize the problem and identify all the forces acting on the blocks. Then, use Newton's laws of motion to write equations for each block. Finally, solve the equations to find the acceleration, tension, and other required values.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid while solving "Two blocks and a pulley" problems?

Some common mistakes include neglecting friction, not considering the direction of forces, and not including all the relevant forces in the equations. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and include all the necessary forces and their directions in the equations.

4. Can you provide tips for solving "Two blocks and a pulley" problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving these problems efficiently include simplifying the equations by using trigonometric identities, drawing free-body diagrams for each block separately, and identifying any symmetrical arrangements that can help reduce the number of equations.

5. How can I check if my solution for a "Two blocks and a pulley" problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the values obtained for acceleration and tension into the equations and ensuring that they satisfy all the given conditions. Additionally, you can also compare your solution with others or use online resources to verify your answers.