Two blocks held by a rope on an incline

In summary, if the second block has a coefficient of friction of .9 then it requires a mass of 9.8 kg to keep the system from accelerating.
trolling

Homework Statement

A block with mass m1 = 9.4 kg is on an incline with an angle θ = 31.0° with respect to the horizontal.

Now a new block is attached to the first block. The new block is made of a different material and has a coefficient of static friction μ = 0.9. What minimum mass is needed to keep the system from accelerating?

Homework Equations

Ft,1 = Ft,2
Fg,1 = m1*g
Fg,2 = m2*g
Fn,1= Fg,1*cos 31
Fn,2 = Fg,2*cos 31
Ff,s,2 = Fn*.9

The Attempt at a Solution

Ft,1 = Ft,2
Fg,1 = m1*g = 92.12N
Fg,2 = m2*g = m2*9.8
Fn,1= Fg,1*cos 31
Fn,2 = Fg,2*cos 31
Ff,s,2 = Fn*.9

I'm not really sure what to do after this. I have some free-body diagrams set up, but since I can't post them here, I can't show them.

I had a value for the coefficient of static friction, but that was for a system with a spring (.292), so I don't think that'll work here. I also have one for kinetic friction (.212), but that might not apply here. After that, I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please clarify this question, you are missing information.

Is the first block frictionless?

trolling said:

Homework Statement

A block with mass m1 = 9.4 kg is on an incline with an angle θ = 31.0° with respect to the horizontal.

Now a new block is attached to the first block. The new block is made of a different material and has a coefficient of static friction μ = 0.9. What minimum mass is needed to keep the system from accelerating?

Homework Equations

Ft,1 = Ft,2
Fg,1 = m1*g
Fg,2 = m2*g
Fn,1= Fg,1*cos 31
Fn,2 = Fg,2*cos 31
Ff,s,2 = Fn*.9

The Attempt at a Solution

Ft,1 = Ft,2
Fg,1 = m1*g = 92.12N
Fg,2 = m2*g = m2*9.8
Fn,1= Fg,1*cos 31
Fn,2 = Fg,2*cos 31
Ff,s,2 = Fn*.9

I'm not really sure what to do after this. I have some free-body diagrams set up, but since I can't post them here, I can't show them.

I had a value for the coefficient of static friction, but that was for a system with a spring (.292), so I don't think that'll work here. I also have one for kinetic friction (.212), but that might not apply here. After that, I'm stuck.

The coefficients of friction are for the first block.

Where's the rope? Please state the problem as written and provide a sketch if possible.

I'm sure this is a straightforward question but the way you have explained it is confusing...

For example..

is inconsistent with...

The coefficients of friction are for the first block.

If we take your original post at face value...

The first block is frictionless so it's simple to calculate the force down the slope due to gravity.

The second block has friction so you can write two equations, 1) for the force down the slope due to gravity and 2) for the friction force acting up the slope.

If the combination is static then the sum of all three forces equate to zero. Solve for the mass of the second block.

FAQ: Two blocks held by a rope on an incline

What is the purpose of studying two blocks held by a rope on an incline?

The purpose of studying this scenario is to understand the concepts of forces, tension, and motion on an inclined plane, which are important in fields such as physics and engineering.

How do you calculate the tension in the rope?

The tension in the rope can be calculated by using the equation T = mg(sinθ - μcosθ), where T is the tension, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

What happens to the tension in the rope if the angle of the incline is increased?

If the angle of the incline is increased, the tension in the rope will also increase. This is because the component of the weight of the block that acts parallel to the incline will also increase, resulting in a greater tension in the rope.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of the blocks?

The coefficient of friction affects the motion of the blocks by creating a resisting force that opposes the motion. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater resisting force, making it harder for the blocks to move down the incline.

What are the differences between the motion of the blocks on a frictionless incline and an incline with friction?

On a frictionless incline, the blocks will accelerate down the incline with a constant velocity. On an incline with friction, the blocks will still accelerate, but at a slower rate due to the presence of the resisting force. The blocks may also reach a maximum velocity and then remain at a constant velocity if the force of friction is equal to the force applied by the rope.