Two blocks of mass connect to a pulley

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a string over a pulley, with one block sliding on a frictionless surface. The objective is to find the acceleration of the system. The equations used are a1 = m2g/(m1+m2), T = (m1*m2*g) / (m1 + m2), and τnet = r*T1 - r*T2, with the additional constraint a = rα.
kitsunebell74

Homework Statement

Blocks of mass and are connected by a massless string that passes over the pulley in the figure . The pulley turns on frictionless bearings, and mass slides on a horizontal, frictionless surface. Mass is released while the blocks are at rest.

Homework Equations

I found a1 for the mass of block one (m1).
a1 = m2g/(m1+m2)
T = (m1*m2*g) / (m1 + m2)
and tension in the string (which is the same everywhere)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I must find a1 with a mass of the pulley (mp) and radius R.

So far I have drawn my free body diagrams for block 1, block 2, and the pulley. I was able to sum up my forces but I am having trouble summing up the net torque. Will the tensions from the two block be separated? Like this Tnet = r*T1 + r*T2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kitsunebell74! welcome to pf! :smile:
kitsunebell74 said:
So far I have drawn my free body diagrams for block 1, block 2, and the pulley. I was able to sum up my forces but I am having trouble summing up the net torque. Will the tensions from the two block be separated? Like this Tnet = r*T1 + r*T2

yes, the tensions will be different, and τnet = r*T1 - r*T2

now apply the rolling constraint a = rα :wink:

Thanks for the greeting. I figured it out. :)

FAQ: Two blocks of mass connect to a pulley

What is the concept of a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or chain that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and can also provide mechanical advantage by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object.

How do two blocks of mass connect to a pulley?

The two blocks of mass can be connected to a pulley in two ways: either by attaching one block to the rope that runs along the pulley and connecting the other block to the other end of the rope, or by passing the rope through the pulley and connecting both blocks to the rope on either side of the pulley.

What is the purpose of connecting two blocks of mass to a pulley?

The purpose of connecting two blocks of mass to a pulley is to demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and to study the relationship between force and acceleration. It allows us to see how the force applied on one block is transferred to the other block through the pulley system.

What are the factors that affect the motion of the blocks connected to a pulley?

The motion of the blocks connected to a pulley is affected by various factors such as the mass of the blocks, the angle of the pulley, the friction between the pulley and the rope, and the force applied on the blocks. These factors can affect the acceleration, velocity, and direction of the blocks.

What are the real-life applications of a pulley system with two blocks of mass?

A pulley system with two blocks of mass has various real-life applications such as elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. It is also used in simple machines like a bicycle, where the pulley system helps to transfer the force from the rider's legs to the wheels. In addition, pulleys are used in many industries for lifting heavy objects and in everyday objects like blinds and curtains for easy movement.