Two Cars Colliding: When Do They Meet?

• Thread starter Walan
  • Start date
In summary, when two cars approach each other, the time it takes for them to collide is based on their initial velocities, not their accelerations.
Walan

Homework Statement

Two cars approach each other from opposite directions. One accelerating due east at 100 m/sec^2 and the other accelerating due west at 150 m/sec^2. If they are 500m apart and start from rest, how long does it take for them to collide? Assume constant acceleration.

Homework Equations

. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

. [/B]
I can do this with velocities, but am unsure how things change given acceleration. With velocity, one equation was x=100t where x is displacement and t is time, then y=150t where y is displacement and t is also time. The time to impact is the same for each car though the displacement is not. Also, the total displacement of the two cars is 500m so, x + y = 500m
I solved for time and that was that. When I did the same thing with acceleration I got time in sec^2 and knew I had a problem. Would I use the equation x = (Vo)t + 1/2a(t^2) where x is displacement, Vo is initial velocity (which = 0), a is acceleration and t is time? If I used each acceleration in this equation, one displacement x and one displacement y with the total of x + y = 500m would that be right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Walan said:

Homework Statement

Two cars approach each other from opposite directions. One accelerating due east at 100 m/sec^2 and the other accelerating due west at 150 m/sec^2. If they are 500m apart and start from rest, how long does it take for them to collide? Assume constant acceleration.

Homework Equations

. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

. I can do this with velocities, but am unsure how things change given acceleration. With velocity, one equation was x=100t where x is displacement and t is time, then y=150t where y is displacement and t is also time. The time to impact is the same for each car though the displacement is not. Also, the total displacement of the two cars is 500m so, x + y = 500m
I solved for time and that was that. When I did the same thing with acceleration I got time in sec^2 and knew I had a problem. Would I use the equation x = (Vo)t + 1/2a(t^2) where x is displacement, Vo is initial velocity (which = 0), a is acceleration and t is time? If I used each acceleration in this equation, one displacement x and one displacement y with the total of x + y = 500m would that be right?[/B]

Welcome to PF!
As the cars are accelerating, your first approach is wrong. And the given data, 100m/s^2 and 150 m/s2 are accelerations, not velocities.
The second approach is right, go ahead!

Thank you for your help with my question!

Related to Two Cars Colliding: When Do They Meet?

1. What factors affect the time it takes for two cars to collide?

The time it takes for two cars to collide is affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of each car, the distance between the two cars, and any external forces acting on the cars (e.g. friction, wind). The shape and weight of the cars can also play a role in determining the collision time.

2. Can the collision time be calculated using a simple formula?

Yes, the collision time can be calculated using the formula t = d / (v1 + v2), where t is the time, d is the distance between the two cars, and v1 and v2 are the speeds of the two cars. However, this formula assumes that the cars are moving in a straight line and do not accelerate or decelerate during the collision.

3. How does the angle of collision affect the collision time?

The angle of collision can significantly affect the collision time. If the cars are moving towards each other at an angle, the time it takes for them to collide will be longer compared to if they were moving directly towards each other. This is because the cars have to travel a longer distance to meet at the point of impact.

4. Can other factors, such as weather conditions, impact the collision time?

Yes, other factors such as weather conditions can impact the collision time. For example, if there is a strong headwind, it can slow down the cars and increase the time it takes for them to collide. Similarly, if there is rain or snow, the road conditions may affect the cars' speed and therefore alter the collision time.

5. How can the collision time be measured in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, the collision time can be measured using various methods such as using high-speed cameras to capture the moment of impact, analyzing the damage caused to the cars, or using data from the cars' onboard sensors. It is important to note that the measured collision time may vary slightly from the calculated time due to factors such as human reaction time and the accuracy of the measurement methods.