Two courses in Mathematical Methods for Physics, or higher mathematics?

In summary: But if you don't see yourself doing experimental physics, then it would be better to not take those courses and instead to take more physics courses that have a more direct connection to your field of study.In summary, if you want to become a physics major and go to grad school, you should consider taking Intro to Analysis, Complex Analysis, and PDE's. If you don't see yourself doing experimental physics, then you should instead take more physics courses that have a more direct connection to your field of study.
anson201
I have a problem. The amount of units I have taken up until now (this coming semester I'll be starting my Junior year) and the amount of time I have left is restricting my options for math courses. I do want to become a physics major and I intend on going to grad school. I have a strong inclination to rigorously understanding the mathematics behind physics, but I am unsure whether I may be missing out on something by not taking a mathematical methods course or I may be covering far more than I need to by taking 3 math courses for price of 2 more rewarding (in their utility for and relevance to my field of study) courses also offered by the math department.

So, this is exactly what I'm unsure on. I am considering taking the following sequence: Intro. to Analysis, Complex Analysis, and PDE's. I have taken Calc I, Calc II, Multivariable/Vector Calc, Linear Algebra, and ODE's. If I do take those three courses, I won't be able to take the 2 Mathematical Methods for Physics courses the math department offers. If I did take the Math Methods courses, I'd then take either Complex Analysis or PDE's. The textbook for the courses is Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary L. Boas. I can't decide on what to do. I'll be taking Quantum Mechanics I this coming semester, by the way.

EDIT: Both PDE's and Complex Analysis require Intro to Analysis. I'd thus only be able to take Intro to Analysis after Math Methods.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you're essentially asked to choose between the 3 pure maths courses and the 2 math methods courses. You said you liked physics and want to go to <grad school>. Well, I can only ask you if you like mathematical physics or experimental physics, because it makes a difference.

I enjoy both, but I see myself doing experimental physics.

That was a glib response. On further thought, I have to say I don't really know yet.

If you see yourself working in a laboratory, then take the <Math methods> courses, don't take pure maths. You can do well with <Math methods> to get through quantum mechanics at a level of Griffiths and Sakurai and QFT at the level of Peskin & Schroeder.

Related to Two courses in Mathematical Methods for Physics, or higher mathematics?

1. What is the purpose of taking two courses in Mathematical Methods for Physics?

The purpose of taking two courses in Mathematical Methods for Physics is to develop a solid foundation in advanced mathematical concepts that are essential for understanding and solving complex problems in the field of physics. These courses cover topics such as differential equations, vector calculus, linear algebra, and complex analysis, which are all crucial for modeling and analyzing physical systems.

2. Are these courses only for physics majors?

No, these courses are not exclusive to physics majors. They are also beneficial for students majoring in other scientific fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and astronomy. Many of the mathematical techniques taught in these courses are applicable to a wide range of scientific disciplines.

3. How much math background is required for these courses?

A strong foundation in calculus and basic algebra is necessary for these courses. Students should also be comfortable with manipulating mathematical expressions and solving equations. Some prior exposure to topics such as linear algebra and differential equations can also be beneficial, but it is not a requirement.

4. Are there any practical applications of the mathematical concepts taught in these courses?

Yes, many of the mathematical techniques taught in these courses have practical applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. For example, vector calculus is used in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, while complex analysis is used in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

5. What are the benefits of taking these courses?

Taking two courses in Mathematical Methods for Physics can provide students with a strong mathematical foundation that is useful for tackling complex problems in physics and other scientific fields. These courses also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in any career path. Additionally, these courses can prepare students for more advanced courses in physics and other STEM fields.