Two Dimensional Kinematics Question

• Thread starter ayreia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the fuel tank from plane A will hit the ground at an angle of 15.0 degrees below the horizontal, and the fuel tank from plane B will hit the ground at an angle of 15.0 degrees above the horizontal.
ayreia

Homework Statement

Two planes are each about to drop an empty tank. At the moment of the release each plane has the same speed of 135 m/s, and each tank is at the same height of 2.00 km above the ground. Although the speeds are the same, the velocities are different at the instant of release, because one plane is flying at an angle of 15.0 degrees above the horizontal (A) and the other is flying at an angle of 15.0 degrees below the horizontal (B). Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity with which the fuel tank hits the ground if it is from (a) plane A and (b) plane B. In each part, give the directional angles with respect to the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Vf2 = Vo2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so since I know how fast the plane is going, 135 m/s, I was able to calculate its speed for the x and y components, 130 m/s and 35 m/s respectively. I also have the displacement and acceleration for the fuel tank, so I figured I could just use the equation I referred to to solve it.

The square root of (35 m/s)2 + 2(-9.81 m/s)2(-2000 m) gave me approximately 201 m/s, but the answer I was given was 239 m/s, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Also, I have no idea how to find the directional angles.

Thanks for the help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ayreia,

ayreia said:

Homework Statement

Two planes are each about to drop an empty tank. At the moment of the release each plane has the same speed of 135 m/s, and each tank is at the same height of 2.00 km above the ground. Although the speeds are the same, the velocities are different at the instant of release, because one plane is flying at an angle of 15.0 degrees above the horizontal (A) and the other is flying at an angle of 15.0 degrees below the horizontal (B). Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity with which the fuel tank hits the ground if it is from (a) plane A and (b) plane B. In each part, give the directional angles with respect to the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Vf2 = Vo2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so since I know how fast the plane is going, 135 m/s, I was able to calculate its speed for the x and y components, 130 m/s and 35 m/s respectively. I also have the displacement and acceleration for the fuel tank, so I figured I could just use the equation I referred to to solve it.

The square root of (35 m/s)2 + 2(-9.81 m/s)2(-2000 m) gave me approximately 201 m/s, but the answer I was given was 239 m/s, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong here.

The quantity they are asking for is the magnitude of the total velocity at impact. But when you calculated 201m/s, you were not calculating the total velocity. What would you say the 201m/s is? Do you see how to get the answer they gave?

Oh right, 201 m/s is only the y-component velocity, so I'll need to find the x-component as well, then use Pythagoras to find the total velocity?

ayreia said:
Oh right, 201 m/s is only the y-component velocity, so I'll need to find the x-component as well, then use Pythagoras to find the total velocity?

That sounds good; and what is the x-component of the final velocity?

Using the Pythagorean theorem will get you the magnitude of the final velocity, and then you also need to find the direction. What do you get?

FAQ: Two Dimensional Kinematics Question

1. What is two dimensional kinematics?

Two dimensional kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in two dimensions, taking into account both speed and direction.

2. How is two dimensional kinematics different from one dimensional kinematics?

One dimensional kinematics only considers motion in a straight line, whereas two dimensional kinematics takes into account both horizontal and vertical motion.

3. What are some examples of two dimensional motion?

Some examples of two dimensional motion include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane.

4. How is displacement calculated in two dimensional kinematics?

Displacement in two dimensional kinematics is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, taking into account both horizontal and vertical displacements.

5. How is velocity represented in two dimensional kinematics?

In two dimensional kinematics, velocity is represented by a vector, which includes both magnitude (speed) and direction (angle).

Back