Two dimensional movements and circular motion

In summary, the first conversation is about a student asking for help with three physics assignments. The first assignment involves finding the rotational speed of a planet with a given radius and gravitational acceleration at the poles and equator. The second assignment involves finding the angle of a cyclist riding in a circle with a given speed and radius. The third assignment involves finding the tension of a hanging garbage bag at a given angle using trigonometry. The conversation also includes a suggestion to create separate threads for each problem and a correction to the attempt at the third problem.
karljohan

Homework Statement

Hello, i got three different assignments i need help with right now, my teacher overestimated me and my physics skills, so I'm kind of lost on these three:

(i'm european so i work with meters)
1:
A planets radius is 10 000 km. the gravitationalacceleration is g0 = 15 m/s^2 on the planets poles.
The gravitationalacceleration on the equator is ge = 0 m/s^2

How fast does the planet rotate?

2:
A cyclist is riding his bike in a circle, his speed is v = 72 km/h and the radius of the circle is r = 25 m
what's the angle alpha?

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=xgjqef&s=8#.Vhp9zytbfo0

3:
a piece of garbage is hanging from a line. the mass of the garbage is m = 20 kg
The line forms the angle alpha = 5 degress (watch my picture) the the tension of the line?
http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14l5ra&s=8#.Vhp_MStbfo0

The Attempt at a Solution

1: I'm clueless.
2: clueless
3: I'm thinking of dividing the counter force into two vectors, one vertical and one horizontal. and then somehow achieve an answer.

I'm on thin ice please help godsspeed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1. and 2. have you studied centrifugal force in your class?

For 3. you are on the right track, can you continue with an attempt?

Yes, i have studied centrifugal force in my class, but I'm not very good at it, and need help.

i will make an attempt at question 3:

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5ofitg&s=8#.Vhqp3ytbfo0

L = R

L + R = 9.82 * 20 = 196.4 N

L = R = 196.4 N / 2 = 98.2 N

sin 5 = Fy / 98.2 N => Fy = 98.2 * sin 5 = 8.55 N

cos 32 = Fx / 98.2 N => Fx = 98.2 N * cos 5 = 97.8 N

In the future, please post one problem per thread. PF doesn't put a limit on the number of threads you can create, and having one problem in each thread helps you keep the replies pertinent to that problem.

karljohan said:
Yes, i have studied centrifugal force in my class, but I'm not very good at it, and need help.

i will make an attempt at question 3:

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5ofitg&s=8#.Vhqp3ytbfo0

L = R

L + R = 9.82 * 20 = 196.4 N

L = R = 196.4 N / 2 = 98.2 N

sin 5 = Fy / 98.2 N => Fy = 98.2 * sin 5 = 8.55 N

cos 32 = Fx / 98.2 N => Fx = 98.2 N * cos 5 = 97.8 N

You should draw a force triangle here. The unknown force in the line is the hypotenuse of the triangle, and you have calculated the vertical force due to the weight of the garbage bag, and the included angle is 5°. Check your trigonometry.

[PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/4/d/54dbac66cd66b9ddaf8d9cbc760adf03.png97.8^2 + 8.55^2 = L = R

L = R = 98.17

can't be right

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Two dimensional movements and circular motion

1. What is the difference between two dimensional movements and circular motion?

Two dimensional movements refer to the motion of an object in a plane, where it can move both horizontally and vertically. Circular motion, on the other hand, refers to the motion of an object along a circular path.

2. How is velocity calculated in two dimensional movements?

In two dimensional movements, velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. It can also be calculated by finding the slope of the displacement-time graph.

3. What is centripetal acceleration in circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is directly proportional to the square of the object's speed and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle.

4. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the product of the mass of the object, its speed squared, and the radius of the circle.

5. Can an object have a constant speed but still experience centripetal acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but still experience centripetal acceleration because acceleration is a vector quantity that also includes changes in direction. In circular motion, the direction of the velocity is constantly changing, resulting in a non-zero centripetal acceleration.