Two EE questions - nodal analysis and circuit modeling

In summary, the question asks for the energy dissipated in R1, R2 when the switch is closed for 50μs<=t<=100μs.
ming2194
Two EE questions -- nodal analysis and circuit modeling

Homework Statement

Photo 11-4-14 1 16 49 pm.jpg

Photo 11-4-14 1 17 20 pm.jpg

Photo 11-4-14 1 17 49 pm.jpg

Homework Equations

I was given R1, R2, and Iα(t), the time for the switch to closed (50μs<=t<=100μs)
The question is asking about the energy associated with 2 sources and dissipated in R1, R2.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 1st question, part should be ok for me. But i have no idea on how to start the part b).take integration for Iα(t) (since Iα(t)=da/dt) , then obtain a i=(-1/5)e^-500t
but what value for the integrals? integrated from t = 50μs to 100μs? or from t = 0μs to 200μs ? then "I" can be found?
E=Pt, = (IV)t. What value of t will be used here for each source and resistor to find the energy?

For Q4, totally no idea on it. It is about the topic of diode?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Q3, once you know the voltage & current associated with each element, the product of the two will be its power. Integration of power leads to energy.

Q4 does call for a diode arrangement.

NascentOxygen said:
In Q3, once you know the voltage & current associated with each element, the product of the two will be its power. Integration of power leads to energy.

Q4 does call for a diode arrangement.

Thanks so much for your reply.
After calculation I find :
I1: 2/7(ia)
I2: 5/7(ia)
I3= -5/7 ia
V1= 20/7 (ia)
V2= 100/7 ia

Then , power of R1 = v1 i1
I get 4000/49 e^-5000t
Then I need to integral it to find energy but what should I set for the upper and Lower intergal? Since the switch is closed for 50u<T< 100u, but the question asks for the energy for 0<T<200u, so which range should I use ?
And why?

You will have to evaluate the integral in pieces, until you have covered the full interval. The circuit changes when R2 is shorted out.

I would suggest starting by reviewing the concepts of nodal analysis and circuit modeling. Nodal analysis is a method used to solve for unknown voltages in a circuit by applying Kirchhoff's current law at each node. Circuit modeling involves representing a real-world circuit with a simplified mathematical model in order to analyze its behavior.

For the first question, it seems like you have a good understanding of how to approach part a), but you may need to clarify what the question is asking for in part b). Are you being asked to find the energy dissipated in R1 and R2 over a specific time interval? If so, you can use the equation E=Pt, where P is the power dissipated in the resistor and t is the time interval. To find the power, you can use the equation P=I^2R, where I is the current and R is the resistance.

For Q4, it is difficult to provide a response without more context. It would be helpful to know what specific topic in diode electronics the question is related to. However, in general, diodes are electronic components that only allow current to flow in one direction. They can be used in circuit modeling to represent non-linear behavior. I would suggest reviewing the basics of diode behavior and diode circuits to approach this question.

FAQ: Two EE questions - nodal analysis and circuit modeling

1. What is nodal analysis and how is it used in circuit analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current values at different nodes (connection points) in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. Nodal analysis is useful for solving complex circuits with multiple nodes and can help in understanding the behavior of a circuit.

2. What is the difference between nodal analysis and mesh analysis?

Both nodal analysis and mesh analysis are methods used to analyze electric circuits. Nodal analysis is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, while mesh analysis is based on Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. Nodal analysis is used to find the voltage and current values at different nodes, while mesh analysis is used to determine the current values in individual loops of a circuit. The choice between nodal and mesh analysis depends on the complexity of the circuit and personal preference.

3. How do you set up a nodal analysis equation?

To set up a nodal analysis equation, you first need to identify all the nodes in the circuit. Then, assign a variable to each node and write down the Kirchhoff's Current Law equation for each node. Next, you need to solve the equations simultaneously to find the values of the variables. Finally, you can use these values to calculate the voltage and current values at each node in the circuit.

4. How is circuit modeling used in practical applications?

Circuit modeling is used to represent the behavior of a circuit in a mathematical form. It allows engineers to analyze and design circuits before they are physically built, saving time and resources. Circuit modeling can also be used to troubleshoot and improve existing circuits, as well as to simulate different scenarios and predict the behavior of a circuit under different conditions. It is an essential tool in the design and development of electronic devices.

5. What are the advantages of using circuit modeling over traditional circuit analysis methods?

Circuit modeling offers several advantages over traditional circuit analysis methods, such as nodal and mesh analysis. It allows for faster and more accurate analysis of complex circuits, as well as the ability to simulate different scenarios and predict circuit behavior. Circuit modeling also enables engineers to test and optimize circuits without physically building them, saving time and resources. Additionally, it allows for the incorporation of non-linear components, which cannot be easily analyzed using traditional methods.