Two electrons have ##l_1=1## and ##l_2=3##, what are L and S

• Thread starter Kara386
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary: J## then what would I get? ##J=L+S##.In summary, the allowed values of ##J## are given by ##J=\hbar m_j## where ##m_j## runs from ##-j## to ##j##.
Kara386

Homework Statement

Two electrons in helium have ##l_1=1## and ##l_2=3##. What are the values of ##L## and ##S##? From this, deduce the possible values of ##J## and find how many quantum states this excited state of helium can occupy.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For ##L## the allowed values are given by ##L= \hbar m##, so for ##l_1=1## ##L = hbar##, ##0## and ##L=-\hbar##.
For ##l_2##,
##L = -3\hbar##, ##-2\hbar##, ##-\hbar##, ##0##, ##\hbar##, ##2\hbar## and ##L=3\hbar##.

For ##S## the allowed values are again the eigenvalues which are ##\hbar m_s##, ##m_s## runs from ##-s## to ##s## in integer steps. Electrons have ##s=\frac{1}{2}##, so
##S = -\frac{1}{2}\hbar## or ##S = \frac{1}{2} \hbar##.

I'm not sure how to work out ##J##, in my lecture notes it says for a single electron ##j = l \pm \frac{1}{2}## but doesn't say how that changes for multiple electrons. ##J=\hbar m_j## where ##m_j## runs from ##-j## to ##j##.

For the last part, I think for every combination of ##L##, ##J## and ##S## there are ##2J+1## quantum states. So I think the main question I have is: how can I work out the allowed values of ##J##? Can I work them out individually for each electron using ##j = l \pm \frac{1}{2}## and then add them?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are confusing L with Lz. When L = 1, Lz can take values ## \pm \hbar## and zero.
It also looks like you are not sure about the rules for adding angular momenta. You are given l1 = 1 and l2 = 3. You are asked to find the possible values for L defined as L = l1 + l2. Does this look familiar?

Likes Kara386
kuruman said:
It looks like you are confusing L with Lz. When L = 1, Lz can take values ## \pm \hbar## and zero.
It also looks like you are not sure about the rules for adding angular momenta. You are given l1 = 1 and l2 = 3. You are asked to find the possible values for L defined as L = l1 + l2. Does this look familiar?
Well the only things in my lecture noted are ##L^2## and ##L_z##, so I assumed the ##L## I was being asked about was ##L_z##. Ok, so I should be using ##L = l_1+l_2##? I was also using the definition for ##S_z##, does a similar thing apply there? Should I be calculating ##S = s_1+s_2##? But I think ##s_1## and ##s_2## can both have two values, ##\frac{1}{2}## and ##-\frac{1}{2}##, so would I need to account for that?

Yes, you should be using ##L=l_1+l_2##. And yes, a similar thing applies to ##S=s_1+s_2##. No, ##s_1## and ##s_2## cannot have the values you suggest. Just like the orbital angular momentum, ##s_{1z}= \pm \frac{\hbar}{2}## and similarly for ##s_{2z}##. You need to add angular momenta three times:
1. ##L=l_1+l_2##
2. ##S=s_1+s_2##
3. ##J=L+S##

Likes Kara386
kuruman said:
Yes, you should be using ##L=l_1+l_2##. And yes, a similar thing applies to ##S=s_1+s_2##. No, ##s_1## and ##s_2## cannot have the values you suggest. Just like the orbital angular momentum, ##s_{1z}= \pm \frac{\hbar}{2}## and similarly for ##s_{2z}##. You need to add angular momenta three times:
1. ##L=l_1+l_2##
2. ##S=s_1+s_2##
3. ##J=L+S##
Is ##s_{1z}=s_1##? Or are they different, different orientation or something?

They are different. Think of ## s_1=\frac{1}{2}## as a vector. It's a quantum vector the component of which in the z-direction is denoted by ##s_{1z}## and can have only two values, ##+\frac{\hbar}{2}## and ##-\frac{\hbar}{2} ##. The same holds for ##s_2##. You are looking for the sum ##S=s_1+s_2##. The sum of two quantum vectors must also be a quantum vector. This means that it can have an integer or half-integer value. Do you remember learning about this? You may wish to look at this Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_angular_momentum_quantum_number.

Likes Kara386
kuruman said:
They are different. Think of ## s_1=\frac{1}{2}## as a vector. It's a quantum vector the component of which in the z-direction is denoted by ##s_{1z}## and can have only two values, ##+\frac{\hbar}{2}## and ##-\frac{\hbar}{2} ##. The same holds for ##s_2##. You are looking for the sum ##S=s_1+s_2##. The sum of two quantum vectors must also be a quantum vector. This means that it can have an integer or half-integer value. Do you remember learning about this? You may wish to look at this Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_angular_momentum_quantum_number.
Yes, it definitely rings a bell. So this link seems to suggest that since ##S^2 = \hbar^2 s(s+1)## then I would square root this to find ##S##:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_quantum_number#Electron_spin.
The bit I was looking at is section 3.

##s=\frac{1}{2}## for electrons so then would I add the values from this equation? I'd get ##S = 2\hbar\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}}##. And then it also says this is analagous to how you'd calculate ##L## but if I repeated the same thing for ##L## as for ##S## that would be a different answer to just adding ##l_1## and ##l_2##. I'm having trouble working out from different texts what they are using L and S and all these capital and little letters for, because it feels like they're being used for different things, or I'm just getting very confused. And so I can't identify how these equations I'm finding relate to the numbers in my question.

The other possibliity would be ##S=1## and ##L=4##...

Last edited:
OK, here are the rules for adding angular momenta. They apply to all angular momentum quantities regardless of the symbol you use. Say you add ##l_1## and ##l_2## to get ##L##. The possible values for ##L## start at ##l_1+l_2## and go down in decrements of 1 all the way to ##|l_2-l_1|##. For example, if you were to add l1 = 4 and l2=7 to get L, the possible values are L = 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3. If you were to add l=4 and s=3/2 to get j, the possible values are j = 11/2, 9/2, 7/2, 5/2. Do you see how it works? If yes, apply it to your problem and consult with post#4 on how to add things.

Likes Kara386
kuruman said:
OK, here are the rules for adding angular momenta. They apply to all angular momentum quantities regardless of the symbol you use. Say you add ##l_1## and ##l_2## to get ##L##. The possible values for ##L## start at ##l_1+l_2## and go down in decrements of 1 all the way to ##|l_2-l_1|##. For example, if you were to add l1 = 4 and l2=7 to get L, the possible values are L = 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3. If you were to add l=4 and s=3/2 to get j, the possible values are j = 11/2, 9/2, 7/2, 5/2. Do you see how it works? If yes, apply it to your problem and consult with post#4 on how to add things.
That makes sense, I'll apply that to my problem! I was having real trouble deciphering my lecture notes. Thank you for your help and patience, I really appreciate it! :)

Related to Two electrons have ##l_1=1## and ##l_2=3##, what are L and S

What is the total angular momentum (L) of the two electrons?

The total angular momentum (L) of the two electrons can be calculated by combining their individual angular momenta (l1 and l2) using the formula L = |l1 - l2|, which in this case would give us L = 2.

What is the total spin (S) of the two electrons?

The total spin (S) of the two electrons can also be calculated by combining their individual spins (s1 and s2) using the formula S = |s1 + s2|, which in this case would give us S = 4.

What is the total angular momentum quantum number (J) of the two electrons?

The total angular momentum quantum number (J) of the two electrons is calculated by adding the total angular momentum (L) and the total spin (S) and can be written as J = L + S. In this case, J = 6.

What is the total number of possible states for the two electrons?

The total number of possible states for the two electrons can be calculated by using the formula 2(2L + 1)(2S + 1), which in this case would give us 2(3)(5) = 30 possible states.

What is the term symbol for this electronic configuration?

The term symbol for this electronic configuration can be written as 2S+1LJ, where S is the total spin, L is the total angular momentum, and J is the total angular momentum quantum number. In this case, the term symbol would be 5F6.