Two Masses, a Pully, and an Inclinde Plane

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, one with a mass of 0.700kg and the other with an unknown mass, connected by a pulley and accelerating downward at a rate of 0.250m/s^2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the second block and the plane is 0.200. The given equation for solving the problem is m2a=T-f-m2gsin(30) with T=6.69. The attempt at a solution involves substituting the known values into the equation and solving for the unknown mass, but there is some uncertainty about how to handle the unknown mass on both sides of the equation.
Robdog

Homework Statement

Block 1, of mass m1 = 0.700kg , is connected over an ideal (massless and frictionless) pulley to block 2, of mass m2. Assume that the blocks accelerate downword with an acceleration of magnitude = 0.250m/s^2 and that the coefficient of kinetic friction between block 2 and the plane is u = 0.200.

Tried to attach a good picture of the angle at which the block is 30

Homework Equations

m2a=T-f-m2gsin(30)

With T=6.69
F=un Which n=8.5 so then it would be 1.7

The Attempt at a Solution

well to set it up I am not sure if I am right but i tried to sub all know values into the above eq

M2(2.50m/s^2)=6.69-1.7-M2(9.8m/s^2)Sin(30)

i keep geting wrong answer + i don't konw how to solve when M2 is on both sides? What do i do. I know the answer has to be smaller than .700kg because if it were larger they would not move.

Attachments

• MLD_2l_2_v2_2_a.jpg
    MLD_2l_2_v2_2_a.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
any idea?

Robdog said:
m2a=T-f-m2gsin(30)
Good. That's Newton's 2nd law applied to mass 2. Do the same for mass 1.

With T=6.69
How do you know the tension?

Related to Two Masses, a Pully, and an Inclinde Plane

1. What is the purpose of using two masses, a pully, and an inclined plane in an experiment?

The purpose of using two masses, a pully, and an inclined plane in an experiment is to study the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in a system. By manipulating the masses and angles of the inclined plane, scientists can observe how these variables affect the overall motion of the system.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the masses?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the motion of the masses by changing the direction and magnitude of the gravitational force acting on them. A steeper angle will result in a greater force pulling the masses down the plane, while a shallower angle will result in a smaller force.

3. What is the role of the pully in the experiment?

The pully in the experiment serves as a way to change the direction of the force acting on the masses. By using a pully, the force of gravity can be redirected along the plane instead of just straight down, allowing for a more controlled and precise study of the system.

4. Can the masses be different in size and still produce accurate results?

Yes, the masses can be different in size and still produce accurate results. As long as the masses are balanced and the angles of the inclined plane are kept consistent, the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration will remain the same regardless of the specific values of the masses.

5. How does friction play a role in this experiment?

Friction plays a role in this experiment by acting as a resistive force that opposes the motion of the masses down the inclined plane. This force must be taken into account when analyzing the results of the experiment and can be manipulated by changing the surface material of the inclined plane.