Two Masses in Pulley System (Rotational Dynamics)

In summary: The net force is 5g, so the acceleration is 5g/(12 + 2.1/2*0.262 + 5)In summary, the hanging mass is being pulled up by the pully, and the tension in the cord is also pulling on the mass.
S-Flo
So I've been prepping for my Engineering Physics 1 final, and I've been having trouble with rotational motion problems, but this problem has been driving me crazy for the past two days:

Homework Statement

(I wanted to include a normal link to an image, but I'm a new member, so here's something)
i.imgur.com/wHAG3.jpg

There are two masses, one on top of a frictionless tabletop (12.0 kg), and one hanging off the edge of the table (5.00 kg), both are connected by an ideal cord wrapped around a frictionless pulley with a radius of 0.26 m and a mass of 2.10 kg. What are the respective tensions of the horizontal and vertical segments of the cord?

Known variables:
mass on top of table = 12.0 kg
mass hanging off edge = 5.00 kg
radius of pully = 0.26 m
mass of pully = 2.10 kg

Unknowns:
Horizontal Tension
Vertical Tension

Homework Equations

I = 1/2*m*r2 (moment of intertia)
τ = I*αθ (Torque, and that's angular acceleration on the right)
Krot = 1/2*I*ω2 (rotational kinetic energy)

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attempted to find the torque on the disk and translate that into tangential force on the mass on the table. After that failed I thought that the acceleration for everything in the system should be the same and tried to make acceleration equations for the two masses and the pulley and solve with algebra. Both gave me incorrect answers. I'm not sure whether I'm approaching this incorrectly or if the equations I set up were wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi S-Flo! Welcome to PF! :wink:
S-Flo said:
… I thought that the acceleration for everything in the system should be the same and tried to make acceleration equations for the two masses and the pulley and solve with algebra.

That should work.

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong. :smile:

Here's what I tried:

F = ma; so a = F/m

τ = rF = Iaθ; and aθ = ratan;
τ = Iratan; atan = τ/Ir = rF/Ir = F/I
and F should be the force the hanging box exerts on the pully (F = mg), so:
atan = Fg/I

So, if a is the same for all parts of the system, then:

Th/12 = Tv/5 = Fg/I

But Fg = 49.05 and I = 0.07098 which would make atan = 691 m/s2, which is very obviously wrong. And after that, I've had no idea what to do.

Hi S-Flo! :smile:
S-Flo said:
aθ = ratan

Noooo :redface:

raθ = atan

(it might be easier if you use the standard notation of α for angular acceleration :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
Hi S-Flo! :smile:

Noooo :redface:

raθ = atan

(it might be easier if you use the standard notation of α for angular acceleration :wink:)

Even then the acceleration comes out to 39.8 m/s2, and the answer is still wrong. I think my whole system is set up incorrectly.

I can't follow your equations.

For example, where is the 5g ? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
I can't follow your equations.

For example, where is the 5g ? :confused:

It's 5 kg, and it's one of the values given in the initial problem.

Honestly, I don't even know what going on in this problem anymore, and I don't see the point in playing with my setup, since it's obviously wrong.

Last edited:
S-Flo said:
It's 5 kg, and it's one of the values given in the initial problem.

no, the gravitational force, 5g

tiny-tim said:
no, the gravitational force, 5g

I thought that was the force of gravity acting on the 5 kg box. F = ma, so 5g = 49.05
I also thought that was the force acting on the pulley to create torque.

S-Flo said:
I also thought that was the force acting on the pulley to create torque.

No, Tv - Th is the force creating the torque.

And Tv and 5g are the forces acting on the hanging mass.

tiny-tim said:
No, Tv - Th is the force creating the torque.

And Tv and 5g are the forces acting on the hanging mass.

That explains part of my error, but even then I still can't see how to set this system up.

Wait, never mind. I just figured out the problem. Thanks.

:smile:

now that you've solved it, here's a "cheat" method that's quicker …

(they probably wouldn't like you using it in an exam, but it's still useful as a check on your final figures :wink:)

replace the pulley by an ordinary object of "rolling mass" I/r2

then the total mass is 12 + I/r2 + 5 = 12 + 2.1/2*0.262 + 5,

the net force is 5g, so the acceleration is 5g/(12 + 2.1/2*0.262 + 5)

does that give you the right result?​

Related to Two Masses in Pulley System (Rotational Dynamics)

1. What is a pulley system in rotational dynamics?

A pulley system in rotational dynamics is a system of one or more pulleys that are used to transmit a force between two masses. The pulleys change the direction of the force, which allows for the transfer of rotational motion between the masses.

2. How does the number of pulleys in a system affect its mechanical advantage?

The number of pulleys in a system affects its mechanical advantage by increasing it. The more pulleys there are, the greater the mechanical advantage because the force is distributed over multiple ropes, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the masses.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and moveable pulley in rotational dynamics?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary point and only changes the direction of the force, while a moveable pulley is attached to one of the masses and also changes the direction of the force. A moveable pulley has a mechanical advantage of two, while a fixed pulley has a mechanical advantage of one.

4. How do you calculate the tension in the ropes of a pulley system?

To calculate the tension in the ropes of a pulley system, you can use the equation T = (m1 + m2) * g / (2 * n), where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and n is the number of ropes supporting the masses.

5. What is the relationship between the masses and the acceleration in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the masses are inversely proportional to the acceleration. This means that as one mass increases, the other mass will decrease and vice versa. This relationship is governed by Newton's Second Law, F = m * a, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.