Two masses on an inclined plane without friction

In summary: If you need help finding it, @scottdave or I can point you in the right direction. In summary, the two masses stop after a certain distance if there is no friction.
RiotRick

Homework Statement

Two identical masses are connected with a rope and are gliding without any friction. Situation given in the picture:
Task2.JPG

Determine after which distance "s" they stop if we have s=0 at t=0 with starting velocity ##v_0##

Given:
##\alpha## and ##\beta## with ##\alpha < \beta##
##v_0##, ##m ##,##g ##

Homework Equations

No friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess they mean when the two masses stop for the very first time, since both masses are equal and ##\beta## is bigger than alpha, they will start gliding towards the right side.
Say the left mass is m1 and the right mass m2 and say ##v_0## is positive.
Then:
(1)##g*m_1*sin(\alpha)-F_{rope}=m1*a##
(2)##-g*m_2*sin(\beta)+F_{rope}=m2*a##
Solving 2nd equation for F and using the fact bot masses are equal, we get in the first equation:
##g*m*sin(\alpha)-m*a-g*m*sin(\beta)=m*a##
##a=\frac{g}{2}*(sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta))##

Now how do I continue from here? I tried to use integrate twice ##s = \frac{gt^2}{4}*(sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta))+v_0*t+0 ## (##s_0=0##) but then how the get rid of the time?

Attachments

• Task2.JPG
    Task2.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 943
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the equations of motion for constant acceleration? Specifically, the one V = V0 + a*t should help you. Find the time at which V = 0.

RiotRick said:

Homework Statement

Two identical masses are connected with a rope and are gliding without any friction. Situation given in the picture:
View attachment 236305
Determine after which distance "s" they stop if we have s=0 at t=0 with starting velocity ##v_0##

Given:
##\alpha## and ##\beta## with ##\alpha < \beta##
##v_0##, ##m ##,##g ##

Homework Equations

No friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess they mean when the two masses stop for the very first time, since both masses are equal and ##\beta## is bigger than alpha, they will start gliding towards the right side.
Say the left mass is m1 and the right mass m2 and say ##v_0## is positive.
Then:
(1)##g*m_1*sin(\alpha)-F_{rope}=m1*a##
(2)##-g*m_2*sin(\beta)+F_{rope}=m2*a##
Solving 2nd equation for F and using the fact bot masses are equal, we get in the first equation:
##g*m*sin(\alpha)-m*a-g*m*sin(\beta)=m*a##
##a=\frac{g}{2}*(sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta))##

Now how do I continue from here? I tried to use integrate twice ##s = \frac{gt^2}{4}*(sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta))+v_0*t+0 ## (##s_0=0##) but then how the get rid of the time?

You have calculated a constant acceleration. Can you solve the problem without introducing an unknown time variable?

PeroK said:
You have calculated a constant acceleration. Can you solve the problem without introducing an unknown time variable?
I don't know how.

RiotRick said:
I don't know how.

There is another equation you could use. But, if you don't know it you could follow the advice of @scottdave to calculate and eliminate ##t## from your equation.

You seem to me to have done the hard part of the problem already.

scottdave said:
Are you familiar with the equations of motion for constant acceleration? Specifically, the one V = V0 + a*t should help you. Find the time at which V = 0.
I get ##s=\frac{v_0^2}{2a}+\frac{v_0^2}{a}##
Replacing my a gives me:
##s=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{v_0}{\frac{g*(sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta)}{2}}+\frac{2*v_0}{g*(sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta)}##
##s=\frac{3*v_0}{g*(sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta)}##
which is wrong by the factor 3.

RiotRick said:
I get ##s=\frac{v_0^2}{2a}+\frac{v_0^2}{a}##

I'm not sure how you got that equation.

Hint: There's another SUVAT equation that involves initial and final velocities, acceleration, and distance. No time involved.

FAQ: Two masses on an inclined plane without friction

1. What is an inclined plane without friction?

An inclined plane without friction is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, where there is no resistance or friction acting upon objects placed on it. This allows for objects to slide down the plane with a constant velocity.

2. How are the two masses on an inclined plane without friction related?

The two masses on an inclined plane without friction are related by the angle of the plane and the force of gravity acting on the masses. The angle of the plane determines the acceleration of the masses, while the force of gravity is responsible for the downward motion of the masses.

3. What is the significance of the angle of the inclined plane in this scenario?

The angle of the inclined plane is significant because it determines the acceleration of the masses. A steeper angle will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller angle will result in a slower acceleration.

4. How does the absence of friction affect the motion of the masses on the inclined plane?

The absence of friction allows for the masses to slide down the inclined plane without any resistance. This results in a constant velocity for the masses, as there is no force acting against their motion.

5. Can this scenario be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, this scenario can be applied to real-world situations such as a rollercoaster or a ski slope. In these situations, the absence of friction allows for the objects (rollercoaster cart or skier) to move smoothly and quickly down the incline with a constant velocity.

Back