Two masses on two inclined planes -- What is magnitude of velocity

In summary: If you integrate over the entire inclined plane, then the total potential energy is equal to the kinetic energy and the work done by the friction. But if you just integrate over the length of the inclined plane, then the work done by the friction is only done over a certain distance, and the rest of the energy is still kinetic.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

Two boxes of equal mass m are connected by a light string over a massless pulley, and rest on surfaces of inclination θ and φ, θ>φ. The boxes are released from rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the boxes and the surfaces is μ. Determine the magnitude of the velocity of the boxes when they have moved distance s.

Homework Equations

W=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this is rather simple question when using the work energy equations, setting the total force on each of the masses in x direction times the distance equal to 1/2 mv^2. I have gotten the right answer this way.
But I've realized that I could probably solve it using another method, which was to use integration by changing the acceleration I get into v*dv/ds.

IMG_0265.JPG

Sorry for the bad quality picture and I don't know how to turn it around.
But basically, I get an equation v=√[((g)(sinθ-sinφ)-μ(cosθ+cosφ))s] but when I plug it in a sample question, the velocity comes out to be a bit off.
Any help or criticism will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you can do is besides looking at it through a conservation of energy point of view, you could look at it using your kinematics equations. You would just need to adjust the acceleration accordingly. But your best bet seems to be using conservation of energy which is what you are using. Your picture is to blurry for me to read, but once you calculate the work done by the friction over the total span of the inclined plane, then you can subtract that from the total energy, and use the remainder to figure out the kinetic energy at the bottom since the total potential energy will be equal to the kinetic energy and work done by the friction. (P_total= K_final+W_friction)

I'm not sure if this is what you did, but it could be one of the approaches you could use.

Hi! I am very sorry for the picture quality. Yes. To me, that was the intuitive way. But the work I have shown in the picture was finding the tension for each mass, equating them and solving for acceleration. Then, I converted that acceleration into v*(dv/ds ) and then use integration in order to find the equation for v in terms of s.
Do you know if converting a into v*(dv/ds) is allowed? Because I think that is the only place where I could have possibly gone wrong.

I don't see how using energy balance would lead to a different equation from the one you obtained with a = v dv/ds.

Related to Two masses on two inclined planes -- What is magnitude of velocity

1. What is the relationship between the two masses on the inclined planes?

The two masses on the inclined planes are connected by a pulley, which means they are sharing the same rope or string. This creates a direct relationship between the two masses, where any movement or change in one mass will affect the other.

2. How does the angle of the inclined planes affect the velocity of the masses?

The angle of the inclined planes affects the velocity of the masses by changing the direction and magnitude of the gravitational force acting on them. The steeper the angle, the greater the force and therefore, the greater the acceleration and velocity of the masses.

3. Is there a difference in the magnitude of velocity between the two masses?

Yes, there is a difference in the magnitude of velocity between the two masses. This is because the masses have different weights, and therefore, experience different gravitational forces. The heavier mass will have a lower velocity compared to the lighter mass.

4. How does the position of the masses on the inclined planes affect their velocity?

The position of the masses on the inclined planes can affect their velocity by changing the angle of the inclined planes. If the masses are placed at different heights, the angle of the inclined planes will be different, resulting in different velocities for each mass.

5. Can the velocity of the masses be calculated using the angle of the inclined planes and the masses' weights?

Yes, the velocity of the masses can be calculated using the angle of the inclined planes and the masses' weights. This can be done by using equations such as Newton's Second Law and the Law of Conservation of Energy, which take into account the angle, mass, and gravitational force to calculate the velocity of the masses.