Two people jumping out of a boat in different directions - momentum problem

In summary: Keep in mind that the final velocity of the boat will have both x and y components, so make sure you find both and use trig to find the direction.
wizzle

Homework Statement

A woman and her husband simultaneously dive from a 120 kg raft that is initially
at rest. The woman (60 kg) jumps from the boat with a horizontal speed of 1.9
m/s due south, while her husband (77 kg) jumps with a horizontal speed of 1.5
m/s due west. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the boat’s velocity
immediately after their dives.

Homework Equations

P=mv
C^2=a^2+b^2
Pfinal-Pinitial=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the momentum of the woman to be (60)(1.9)=114 kg*m/s south
and the man's momentum to be (77)(1.5)=115.5 kg*m/s west. Since it was at rest, the initial momentum of the boat and the two people would have been zero. I'm confused about how to link the mass of the boat and its velocity to these equations. Will the final momentum of the boat be equal to their two momenta? MbVb=MmanVman+MwomanVwoman? I'm thinking I'll have to use the pythagorean theorem to calculate the direction of the displacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wizzle,

wizzle said:

Homework Statement

A woman and her husband simultaneously dive from a 120 kg raft that is initially
at rest. The woman (60 kg) jumps from the boat with a horizontal speed of 1.9
m/s due south, while her husband (77 kg) jumps with a horizontal speed of 1.5
m/s due west. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the boat’s velocity
immediately after their dives.

Homework Equations

P=mv
C^2=a^2+b^2
Pfinal-Pinitial=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the momentum of the woman to be (60)(1.9)=114 kg*m/s south
and the man's momentum to be (77)(1.5)=115.5 kg*m/s west. Since it was at rest, the initial momentum of the boat and the two people would have been zero. I'm confused about how to link the mass of the boat and its velocity to these equations. Will the final momentum of the boat be equal to their two momenta? MbVb=MmanVman+MwomanVwoman?

This is close, but there are a couple of issues. First, momentum is conserved for the entire system, so we would say that the total momentum before they jump equals the total momentum after they jump (and you said the initial momentum was zero). Also, momentum is a vector quantity, so you need:

[tex]
0 = M_b \vec v_b + M_m \vec v_m + M_w \vec v_w
[/tex]

since the action in this problem is not taking place in a straight line. So you'll get an equation for the x direction, and an equation for the y direction, and that will allow you to find the x and y velocities of the boat.

I'm thinking I'll have to use the pythagorean theorem to calculate the direction of the displacement.

The Pythagorean theorem is the easiest way to get the magnitude; then you can use trig to find the direction.

Wow that was helpful! Thank you so much, I've been able to work it out :)

Glad to help!

Related to Two people jumping out of a boat in different directions - momentum problem

1. What is momentum and how is it related to the two people jumping out of a boat in different directions?

Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to keep moving in the same direction at the same speed. In the case of two people jumping out of a boat in different directions, their combined momentum before jumping will be equal to their individual momentums after jumping.

2. How is momentum conserved in this scenario?

Momentum is conserved in this scenario because the total momentum of the system (the two people and the boat) remains constant before and after the jump. This means that the momentum lost by the boat will be equal to the combined momentum gained by the two people.

3. What factors influence the momentum in this situation?

The momentum in this situation is influenced by the mass and velocity of the two people and the boat. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum will be.

4. How does the direction of the jump affect the momentum?

The direction of the jump will affect the direction of the momentum for each individual person. For example, if one person jumps forward and the other jumps backward, their momentums will be in opposite directions.

5. Is there any external force acting on the system in this scenario?

No, there is no external force acting on the system in this scenario. The only forces at play are the internal forces between the two people and the boat, which do not affect the total momentum of the system.