Two planes intersect in a straight line l,how to find the pt on it,(3j,2k)?

The summary is:In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vector equation for the line of intersection between two planes, x+2y-2z=2 and 2x-3y+6z=3. The solution involves solving for two variables in terms of the third, using that third variable as the parameter, and then combining the equations into a vector equation. It is important to note the distinction between the "direction vector" of a line and the normal vector of a plane.
inv
[Solved]Two planes->x+2y-2z=2 & 2x-3y+6z=3 intersect in straight line l

Homework Statement

Hi.I've two planes' equation x+2y-2z=2 & 2x-3y+6z=3.The planes intersect in the straight line l. The question:Find a vector equation for the line l.

Homework Equations

a.n=0 if they're both perpendicular 2 ea other
r.n=a.n ,where n=perpendicular to both r and a
3 dimensional vector equation formula:{A position vector of line}+t{direction vector of line},where t is a variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

1(x)+2(y)-2(z)=0
1(2)+2(1)-2(2)=0
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2\\1\\2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

x+2y-2z=2
(2)+2(1)-2(1)=2
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2\\1\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]r_{1}[/tex]=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2\\1\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]+t[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2\\1\\2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

2x-3y+6z=0
2(1)+3(8/3)+6(1)=0
3[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\\frac{8}{3}\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3\\8\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

2x-3y+6z=3
2(3)-3(7)+6(3)=3
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3\\7\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]r_{2}[/tex]=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3\\7\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]+m[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3\\8\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Putting [tex]r_{2}[/tex] in 1st plane cartesian equation getting:
(3+3m)+2(7+8m)-2(3+3m)=2
m=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{-9}{13}\\\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]r_{2}[/tex]=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3\\7\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]+m[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3\\8\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]
=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3\\7\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]+[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{-9}{13}\\\end{array}\right)[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3\\8\\3\end{array}\right)[/tex]
=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{12}{13}\\\frac{19}{13}\\\frac{12}{13}\end{array}\right)[/tex]...[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Putting [tex]r_{1}[/tex] into 2nd cartesian equation getting:
2(2+2t)-3(1+t)+6(1+2t)=3
t=[tex]\frac{-4}{13}[/tex]

[tex]r_{1}[/tex]=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2\\1\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]+[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{-4}{13}\\\end{array}\right)[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2\\1\\2\end{array}\right)[/tex]
=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{18}{13}\\\frac{9}{13}\\\frac{5}{13}\end{array}\right)[/tex]...[tex]\beta[/tex]

[tex]\beta[/tex]-[tex]\alpha[/tex]=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{18}{13}\\\frac{9}{13}\\\frac{5}{13}\end{array}\right)[/tex]-[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{12}{13}\\\frac{19}{13}\\\frac{12}{13}\end{array}\right)[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{13}[/tex][tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}6\\-10\\-7\end{array}\right)[/tex]

l's vector equation=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{18}{13}\\\frac{9}{13}\\\frac{5}{13}\end{array}\right)[/tex]+w[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}6\\-10\\-7\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Anything wrong thus?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are doing! You seem to be consistently confusing planes with lines.

inv said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution
Direction vector for 1st plane:
1( x)+2(y )-2(z )=0
1(2)+2(1)-2(2)=0
(2i,j,2k)
Yes, 2i+ j+ 2k is one out of an infinite number of vectors lying in the first plane but knowing that doesn't help you. It is not the "direction vector" for the plane. Of course, it is also true that 1(3)+ 2(-1/2)- 2(1)= 0 so i- (1/2)j+ k is another such vector. You may be confusing this with the "direction vector" of a line: a vector pointing in the same direction as the line. The closest thing to the "direction vector" for a plane is its normal vector.
Pt for equation of 1st plane:

x+2y-2z=2
(2)+2(1)-2(1)=2
(2i,j,k)
Yes, 2i+ j+ k is the position vector of a point (2, 1, 1) which lies in the plane- but since you have no reason to think that it also lies in the second plane that doesn't help either.

Vector equation of 1st plane,r1=(2i,j,k)+t(2i,j,2k)
Absolutely not! A plane does NOT have a "vector equation" in one parameter- since a plane is two dimensional, any equation for a plane requires two parameters- since you can solve one equation in 3 variables for one of the variables in terms of the other two, the equations you are given are in "two parameters". What you have here is the vector equation for one of the infinite number of lines lying in the first plane.

You have two equations for 3 variables, x, y, and z. Go ahead and solve for two of them in terms of the third, then use that last variable as the parameter.

For example, so that you can do the problem you were given yourself, suppose the equations were x- y+ z= 0 and 2x+ y+ z= 2. Adding the two equations eliminates y: 3x+ 2z= 2. Then 3x= 2- 2z so x= 2/3- (2/3)z. Replacing x by that in the first equation, 2/3- (2/3)z- y+ z= 0 so y= 2/3- (2/3)z+ z= 2/3 + (1/3)z. Using z itself as parameter (but renaming it "t") we have x= 2/3- (2/3)t, y= 2/3+ (1/3)t, z= t as parametric equations for the line of intersection of the planes. Or, if you don't like fractions, take z= 3t: x= 2/3- t, y= 2/3+ t, z= 3t are the parametric equations. The vector equation would be, of course,
[tex]\vec{r}= (\frac{2}{3}- t)\vec{i}+ (\frac{2}{3}+ t)\vec{j}+ 3t\vec{k}[/tex].

By the way, write your vectors as (a, b, c) or ai+ bj+ ck. Do not mix notations as in (ai, bj, ck). (Unless, of course, your teacher does it that way- don't rock the boat!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it.Thx

Last edited:

Related to Two planes intersect in a straight line l,how to find the pt on it,(3j,2k)?

1. How do you find the point of intersection between two planes?

To find the point of intersection between two planes, you first need to find the line of intersection between the two planes. This can be done by solving the equations of the two planes simultaneously. Once you have the line of intersection, you can then find the point of intersection by plugging in values for one of the variables in the equation.

2. What is the significance of the point of intersection between two planes?

The point of intersection between two planes is the point where the two planes intersect and share a common point. This point is significant because it is the only point that lies on both planes and can be used to determine the relationship between the two planes.

3. Can there be more than one point of intersection between two planes?

No, there can only be one point of intersection between two planes. This is because two planes cannot intersect at more than one point. If there are multiple points that satisfy the equations of both planes, then those points are collinear and not considered points of intersection.

4. How can you determine if two planes are parallel or perpendicular?

If the two planes have the same normal vector, then they are parallel. If the dot product of the two normal vectors is equal to zero, then the planes are perpendicular. Another way to determine if two planes are parallel or perpendicular is by solving the equations of the planes and comparing their slopes.

5. Is there a specific method to find the point of intersection between two planes?

Yes, there are several methods to find the point of intersection between two planes. One method is by using the cross product of the two normal vectors of the planes. Another method is by setting up a system of equations using the equations of the planes and solving for the variables. You can also use the parametric equations of the lines of intersection to find the point of intersection.