Two-Point Boundary Value Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a second-order linear homogeneous differential equation with two boundary conditions. The solution is found to be a constant, which can be written as 1 up to a scalar multiple. This is an arbitrary choice, but it satisfies the equation and boundary conditions.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

y''+[tex]\lambda[/tex]y=0
y'(0)=0
y'(pi)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What's puzzling me is the case when we check if the eigenvalue is zero.
y''=0
y'=C1
y=C1x+C2

Now when I check the first boundary value I get C1=0
now How do I check the second one ? with the pi...
It doesn't make sense plugging into the first derivative again because I have no x value (only a constant).
The answers show this:lambda=0 is an eigenvalue and the general solution is y0(x)=1

How did they get this ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
y'=C1
y'(0)=0, y'(pi)=0 --> C1 = 0
so
y=C2, constant, which up to a scalar multiple is the same as 1

lanedance said:
y'=C1
y'(0)=0, y'(pi)=0 --> C1 = 0
so
y=C2, constant, which up to a scalar multiple is the same as 1

Hello,

I didn't really understand your last statement.
the constant is the scalar multiple of 1 ?
I think I'm missing something...

whenever you find it solution to a DE it is only determined up to a scalar multiple

in this case any constant satisfies the DE & bc's

lanedance said:
whenever you find it solution to a DE it is only determined up to a scalar multiple

in this case any constant satisfies the DE & bc's

Oh, right...
but why did they choose
Yo(x)=1
an arbitrary choice ?

thanks.

based on what you've said, yeah i think so

Related to Two-Point Boundary Value Problem

What is a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem?

A Two-Point Boundary Value Problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation subject to constraints at two different points. These constraints are known as boundary conditions and are typically given as initial and final values for the solution.

What is the difference between a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem and an Initial Value Problem?

In an Initial Value Problem, the boundary conditions are given at a single point, usually the starting point. In a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem, the boundary conditions are given at two distinct points, which can complicate the problem and require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

What are some real-world applications of Two-Point Boundary Value Problems?

Two-Point Boundary Value Problems are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include modeling heat transfer in a solid object, determining the shape of a bridge under different loading conditions, and finding optimal investment strategies.

How do you solve a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem?

There are various methods for solving Two-Point Boundary Value Problems, including analytical, numerical, and approximate techniques. Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution using mathematical formulas, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution. Approximate methods use a combination of analytical and numerical techniques to find an approximate solution.

What are the challenges of solving a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem?

Solving a Two-Point Boundary Value Problem can be challenging due to the complexity of the problem and the need for advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, finding an exact solution may not always be possible, and numerical methods may introduce errors. It is also important to ensure that the boundary conditions are well-defined and appropriate for the problem at hand.