Two point charges and electric potential difference

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where the speaker used a voltmeter to find equipotential lines for point charges. They then had to calculate the value of the point charges by comparing theoretical calculations with the measured potential difference. The speaker used the equation V=-Edx and reasoned that since the electric field created by both charges is in the same direction, the signs for the electric field potential are also the same. They ended up with a final value for q of 4.9*10^-15 C and questioned if this was correct. They also mentioned that the electric potential at a point in the electric field is the algebraic sum of the potentials created by the two point charges.
NihalRi

Homework Statement

In an experiment modeling point charges I had to find equipotential lines. I did so using a voltmeter. The results looked like this:
WIN_20161113_15_06_12_Pro.jpg

Not a good quality picture, but the equipotential line on the right says 1.3 mV and the one on the left says 2.3mV. From this I had to calculate the value of the point charges. The idea is to compare theoretical calculations of the electric potential difference with the one I found to be -1mV. I chose two points along the line connecting the two point charges and named them A and B.

Homework Equations

Since point charges have a variable electric field the only option I had was to divide the separation between A and B into segments and use V=-Edx to find the potential difference in each segment.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got confused because there are two point charges one that is positive and one that is negative. This means that I had to do calculations for both charges and then add them. I'm finding choosing the correct signs confusing so I reasoned that since the electric field created y both charges is in the same direction the signs for the electric field potential is the same. In other words both are negative. Is this reasoning correct. My final value for q was very small about 4.9*1^-15 C. The DC supply was 6V. Does this look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric potential at a point in the electric field is just the algebraic sum of the potentials created by the two point charges.

Likes NihalRi
Thank you

Related to Two point charges and electric potential difference

1. What is the formula for electric potential difference?

The formula for electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is V = W/q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done in moving a charge, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

2. How do two point charges affect each other's electric potential difference?

The electric potential difference between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. In other words, the potential difference increases as the charges get closer together and decreases as they move farther apart.

3. Can the electric potential difference between two point charges be negative?

Yes, the electric potential difference can be negative. This indicates that the charges are of opposite signs and the work done in moving a positive test charge from one point to the other is negative, meaning energy is being released.

4. How is the electric potential difference related to the strength of an electric field?

The electric potential difference is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that a stronger electric field will result in a larger potential difference between two points.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential difference?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field, while electric potential difference is a measure of the difference in potential between two points in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential difference is a vector quantity.

Back